Small LED Laser Range Finders?

Hi, I looking to add a laser range finder to my robot. I'm not sure what sizes they come in but when I've looked on the web they all seem to
be massive military things. I was hoping for something like 40mm Square tops? Do such things exist? Also I'd like to be able to change the angle of the laser so I can measure several different distances with only the one unit.
Thanks in advance
Mark

Interesting idea!

I haven't seen any tjat small. I've seen some handheld ones about the size of the smaller binoculars lately. But then I haven't been looking.

What I'd like to suggest, is structured light. Have you looked into that at all? With a laser and a bar generator (shine laser through clear stir stick for instance) and then a camera slightly displaced, you can use the camera to do "triangluation" on where the beam hits, and figure distances, and to a degree shapes. You might be able to fit that in something around 40mm.
Yesterday I saw some cheap USB cameras, under $10, from www.cyberguys.com which might make a nice start on such a thing.
See http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1 4+0582 and then check out their snacks for a laugh, particularly http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1 (0+0240
--
Randy M. Dumse