Steering question

Hi, Its my first time building a robot so bare with me.
I'd like to build this "Mars rover" type robot but I don't have a
clear idea on how to steer the front wheels.
I know a servo box with a servo horn connected to rotatable arms are used in RC cars for steering. But is there a simpler way to turn wheels?
I've thought of reversing wheels on one side and forwarding the wheels on the other side as a tank would to make a turn. Is that a good way to make a turn?
http://www.anycities.com/freddie/Robotics/rover.html
Greetings,
zalzon wrote:

I'm under the impression it's the easiest & most common way. If you center the wheels you can pivot and by adjusting the speeds you can make any number of turn styles & types.
The method used in RC cars is fine if you're building something that is always in motion, but won't work so well at low speeds or when stopped (aka, you cannot pivot).
--
Kyle A. York

Skid steering probably won't work with a sojourner-style suspension unless it's *way* too strong and heavy. You'll just put too much lateral stress on the bogey pivots.
I agree... too much stress. Perhaps you can design your six wheels in three sections, with a pivot between each section of two wheels. The vehicle would "bend" as it turns. This would be slightly complicated and require an extra motor, but it would be neat looking.

By 'pivot' do you mean a non-powered (free-rolling) pair of wheels?
I'm thinking of cutting down the number of wheels to 4 instead of 6. All 4 wheels will be powered by independant motors.
I have one question. How do i attach a wheel to the shaft of the motor? Do i need to fit on a servo horn and will the servo horn then attach to the wheel somehow?
Goto www.budgetrobotics.com and check out the Rigel robot, 4wd, using RC servos motified for continuous rotation, wheels and hubs already made up for you. It'll save you a lot of trouble.

three
would
extra