Using linux and profibus?

Hi,
i'd like to buid a simple flight control system with standard industry hardware. Therefore i'm looking for a solution for a standard board (x86)
and a (bus) system to control several devices (such as motors, rpm - sensors, temp, ...).
My idea was to use an embedded linux OS runingh on the x86 board and a profibus system. Does anyone have some experience with this configuration? I'm looking for - the OS kernel to choose (recommendations?) - drivers for profibus cards
Many thanks
Stefan