Why no new HEROs?

Any thoughts as to why no one has offered a new type of HERO over the years?

I was just examining a HERO 2000 and am still impressed with the engineering that went into its development.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

randallchaas

I don't think Hero robots really have any practical uses beyond educational. There are lots of cheaper educational kits available today from Lego and Parallax.

Danh

Reply to
dttworld

Are there any good arguments that can be made to justify buying one? It seems like a lot of dough for a PC and webcam on wheels. For those prices I would expect arms and a docking station along with good vision recognition software.

dttworld

I must have missed the price-How much are they? No, not even remotely interested in buying what I can build from scratch-Just curious. Mark

Reply to
castvee8

See link above for the WhiteBox pricing - ranges from $4,800 to $8000 for their bot. I was looking at a Hero 2000 that was in really good condition that went for $1,800 on Ebay here:

|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Reply to
dttworld

|65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318 And really, that's the point. When the Hero came out it was unique, and you'd need a *lot* of skill to come up with something that even marginally approximated it. Today, just wander on over to polulu.com...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Funny you mentioned Pololu - I used their servo controller in my version of a Hero 2000 robot here:

From first hand experience things get complicated really fast when building a bot.

Danh

Reply to
dttworld

Thanks for the correction -- I was typing from memory...

The irobot Create is a terrific platform; I've got one with a 486 SBC mounted on it. I need to get back to my project of a good C API to control it...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

It didn't take much to max out the mechanical limits of the Create platform. Looking for a platform that can support 50 to 150lbs for my SLA batteries, computer and human size actuators.

Reply to
dttworld

Yes, you're in a completely different league than the Create is designed for!

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I just ran across this:

Looks like heathkit just relabeled a white box robotics PC-Bot.

Reply to
randallchaas

I just ran across this:

Looks like heathkit just relabeled a white box robotics PC-Bot.

...and added some stuff to the package. It's my project, so if there are any questions fire away. :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O