Why no new HEROs?

Any thoughts as to why no one has offered a new type of HERO over the years?
I was just examining a HERO 2000 and am still impressed with the
engineering that went into its development.
TMT

http://www.whiteboxrobotics.com/
Are there any good arguments that can be made to justify buying one? It seems like a lot of dough for a PC and webcam on wheels. For those prices I would expect arms and a docking station along with good vision recognition software.
http://www.robotshop.us/home/suppliers/white-box-robotics-en/index.html
On Feb 23, 8:54am, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I must have missed the price-How much are they? No, not even remotely interested in buying what I can build from scratch-Just curious. Mark

See link above for the WhiteBox pricing - ranges from $4,800 to $8000 for their bot. I was looking at a Hero 2000 that was in really good condition that went for $1,800 on Ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-Hero-2000-Robot-ET-19-Robotics_W0QQitemZ200311176393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200311176393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2 |65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-Hero-2000-Robot-ET-19-Robotics_W0QQitemZ200311176393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200311176393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparmsf%3A2 |65%3A13|39%3A1|240%3A1318
And really, that's the point. When the Hero came out it was unique, and you'd need a *lot* of skill to come up with something that even marginally approximated it. Today, just wander on over to polulu.com...

Funny you mentioned Pololu - I used their servo controller in my version of a Hero 2000 robot here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/iRobot-Create-Personal-Home-Robot /
From first hand experience things get complicated really fast when building a bot.
Danh

Thanks for the correction -- I was typing from memory...

The irobot Create is a terrific platform; I've got one with a 486 SBC mounted on it. I need to get back to my project of a good C API to control it...

It didn't take much to max out the mechanical limits of the Create platform. Looking for a platform that can support 50 to 150lbs for my SLA batteries, computer and human size actuators.

Yes, you're in a completely different league than the Create is designed for!
On Feb 23, 9:54am, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I just ran across this: http://www.heathkit.com/herobot.html
Looks like heathkit just relabeled a white box robotics PC-Bot.

I just ran across this: http://www.heathkit.com/herobot.html
Looks like heathkit just relabeled a white box robotics PC-Bot.
...and added some stuff to the package. It's my project, so if there are any questions fire away. :-)
-John O
I don't think Hero robots really have any practical uses beyond educational. There are lots of cheaper educational kits available today from Lego and Parallax.
Danh