Why robotics faq is not updated after 1996?

Hi, all.

Why robotics faq is not updated after 1996? Where can I find a lot of useful information about Robot as this FAQ? Especially for the latest information about Robot.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Xiangliang Meng

Reply to
Xiangliang Meng

All-inclusive FAQs are just about meaningless these days. Google makes finding specific information about a topic fairly easy. It works across the Web, even groups like this one.

-- Gordon Author: Robot Builder's Bonanza Budget Robotics:

Gordon McComb

It's difficult to maintain FAQs, there's a lot of work with no other return than a warm feeling that you've helped someone somewhere. It's a shame this one hasn't been updated but that's the way it goes sometimes... :o(

while all-inclusive FAQs can be difficult to keep update but more specific FAQs can be a great help to people starting out. In some subject areas I find google great but when I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for it becomes all but useless... a good FAQ might put you on a better track for a google search tho'

now if we've a better idea of Xiangliang Meng's area of interest is then we might be able to help short cut that search :o)

best regards, colin

Reply to
Colin Durrans

This is where wiki's come in handy. They can be regularly updated and maintained by a community so no single person bears the brunt of the work.

Reply to
Chris S.

I'm a new comer for this news group. As for comp.lang.c and many other news groups, their FAQ's are maintained and updated. We could alway find the latest version in those grouips and comp.answers.

Would you like to give us some examples of those specific FAQs. I really need some help to begin in robotic fields. Thanks.

I just want some fundamental knowledge on robot as the base, and hope to start in robotic fields from it after digesting the useful information.

When I was a boy, the robots in the movie , cartoon and so on, is attractive for me. I'm always thinking of whether those robots could come into truth. Maybe one day, I could create them. I just begin to pursue my dream. Start all by myself, or apply a Ph.D on Robot. I'm thinking over but not fully sure now.

I consider comp.robotic FAQ is a good source, but it is rather old.

Best Regards,

Xiangliang Meng

Reply to
Xiangliang Meng

Even a language as robust as C is fairly straight-forward when compared to robotics. With robotics there are so many discussion points that a single FAQ can no longer address them all -- without being a huge book. Some people may want to find out about robots in fiction, and that's a huge area. Others may want to find out about personal versus industrial robotics. The list goes on.

This is why a generic FAQ on something like robotics tends to either lack depth or require a large degree of maintenance.

Do a Google search on "robotics FAQ" (try with and without quotes). The old CMU FAQ may come up first, but dozens of others filter afterward. I've seen some on contests, a mini-FAQ for beginners, combat FAQ, BEAM FAQ, and several others.