Zymark Easylab Help

Hi all.
I'm an intern at a local science museum and was recently put in charge of working with a Zymark robot system. I wish I could be more
specific, but I don't know much about this specific unit since it was a donation. However, the setup contains a master controller, robotic arm (w/ "XP" printed on the left, and "Zymark Laboratory Automation System" printed on the right), Power and Event controller, and a handheld type of controller that has an LCD screen on it as well as a keypad. Right now, I have the robot plugged into the main controller, which is attached to an older computer running System 5 software. Here's the problem - I have powered up both the controller and the robot, and when I open up the Terminal program, an error says that the controller is not connected. How would I go about resolving this, and what do I do with the hand controller? Is there some sort of operating sequence that I'm missing?
Please feel free to email me at snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net.
Thanks
Ian