Aluminium + oxygen rocket without N and H ?

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed wrote in news:IDhtb.174237$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

Perhaps you mean F-14's?? Iran still has a few of those that are 'flyable'.(in their opinion!)

ISTR that Australia has F-111's,they are the last remaining on-duty F-111's worldwide;supported by parts from US out-of-service planes,I believe.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

well, I was studying F-111's ... it's possible they were studying F-14s

it was Chanute AFB near Champiagn-Urbana, Il., 11/72 - 3/72

the ironic part is that after completing my technical training there, I was sent to Holloman AFB, near Alamogordo, NM, which only had F-4Ds and T-38s at the time.

can you say "On the Job Training?" ;o)

- iz

Jim Yanik wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

How soon we forget history. Up until the Jimmy Carter Era, Iran was our friend. We actually sold lots of military stuff to the Shah of Iran hoping that he could help us maintain stability amongst OPEC countries.

Mark Simpson

Still, it is a mass particle ejected at some velocity.

You could try a slightly porous sintered aluminum fuel grain in a hybrid motor. You will probably want to run oxidiser rich since the aluminum fuel produceces much heat, but makes a relatively poor exhaust product.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

So you have to pump in extra O2. The more extra you pump, through, the higher the thrust and the lower the Isp. This sort or inverse relationship is common in many systems.

-Larry Curcio

Reply to
L.C.

This is exactly what Eugen Sanger used for his "Silverbird" antipodal bomber engine. There are some photos of the subscale test engine in operation in "Spaceship Handbook" page 21. This was in 1941. He used liquid oxygen and aluminum powder (200 mesh or finer) suspended in fuel oil at about 90% concentration by volume. The engine would run up to three hours using regenative water cooling, and he got some pretty incredible exhaust velocities (about 10,000 ft/sec). There's a photo of the full size combustion chamber prototype on page 26. You'll notice how incredibly long it is to ensure complete combustion, since the fuel takes a while to burn compared to atomized liquids.

Sanger even addresses this in the report (i.e. that's why he used powdered solid aluminum). He also experimented with other powdered metals, with magnesium being the most energetic, but for economy, aluminum was his choice for devlopment.

- Jack

Jack Hagerty ARA Press

Jack Hagerty

Flocculent .......a gauge for judging yeast in homebrewed beer....highly flocculent, medium and low flocculence......as fermentation matures the yeast cultures combine or stick together into clumps as opposed to being free radical types

Flattulence..........never mind :-D

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Where'd they get the spare parts? The achilles heel of buying American fighters, no parts, no fly.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

F-14 parts don't work on F-111s, maybe that's why American pilots break ground and fly into the wind and the Iranians do the opposite. :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Yes, I remember the AMT model dragster in honor of President Carter......it was called the Quarter Mile Smile.......it had a peanut shape IIRC :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I think the Millinium Falcon uses Liquid metal fuel...

:-D

-Chr$

Reply to
Chr$