Apogee ezine bounce messages?

Some do have attatchments.

Reply to
NaCl

Got 'em too. 8 or 9 last night and 16 this morning. Glad to see it's not only my problem.

Richard Freed #24586

Reply to
Richard Freed

I have most mail forwarded to a different address and that box was full of bogus Apogee mail.

I added them to my blocked senders list.

No soup for Apogee!

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I wonder if this was a hack aimed to hurt Apogee and Tim.

Normally, the program that distributes the e-zine would be configured to not redistribute replies to the list. It looks like that was changed somehow.

If you look at the bounces that the list is sending out, they're almost certainly not subscribers. I'd guess they're the result of a virus spoofing Tim's address. The e-zine address has been out there long enough that someone surely harvested it. The bad address spoofs (witness the number of full mailboxes - addresses that have been abandoned due to spam, probably) bounce back to Tim. But now, his e-zine program is mistakenly distributing the bounces. Either Tim was hacked or he made a mistake while re-configuring the program recently. I'd bet it was the former.

Tim's had spam trouble for a while; he's set up a web reply form so that his newest e-mail addresses are not exposed. I wonder if this honked someone off?

Tim has been a pleasure to do business with. I've bought numerous items from him over the years. Delivery has always been prompt, exactly what I was expecting, and I've always gotten at least a little more than I've ordered. Rocksim 7.0, which I just recently got, is incredible. It's a great tool, but it's also more fun than some computer games I've played.

I hope whatever (or whoever) is causing this will be stopped too soon. Tim's one of the good guys.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

From the front page of

:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dear Newsletter Subscribers,

Thank you for making me aware of the problem with the list-server. We are sorry for the inconvenience that the situation has caused you. We have turned it off, so you will not receive the bounced messages in your email account.

The problem was caused by our new list-server. Apparently, we had a switch in the wrong position, and it caused the bounced messages to be resent to subscribers. We'll get it fixed and tested before the next e-zine is sent out.

Thank you,

Tim Van Milligan

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

I received 63 bounced messages. Looks like Tim's list server has been bushwacked.

Dwayne

Ted Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

At least they're probably not 150k bytes each like the "Microsoft Security Virus".

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I got about a 100 or so. I did find it quite interesting reading all the different 'error messages', especially one which I can only assume was Brazilian Portuguese.

Reply to
AndyM

different 'error

You don't have to assume, assuming you and I got the same ones.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Yeup, same here, deleted maybe 75 copies or so...

Somebody needs to understand that mailing lists are hard to administer and keep current.

Norman

Reply to
Norman Heyen

I think Tim deserves an attaboy for getting on the problem and fixing it....

Thanks Tim!

zoot wrote:

Richard Hubbard

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

I've had dozens of the things in the last two days.

MikeB

Reply to
MikeB

I got at least 70 in one day until unsubscribing for the duration of this problem.

Reply to
dave1472

You're not the only one, I've gotten two or three dozen of them every day for the past couple of days. Don't know what it means. Some, have an attachment, I haven't opened any.

Reply to
Christopher Deem

Not just that, I'm sure some of the messages are actually related to new people signing up to the mailing list.

I especially like the bit that says they will not divulge email addresses to other people.

Reply to
AndyM