Apollo 13 DVD re-release

Last week a new "10-year Anniversary" edition of the Ron Howard film "Apollo 13" was released: a 2-disk set with 'digital remastering', new features, and including the complete IMAX version.

What a rip.

Disk one of the set is identical to my 10-year old version. Same features, commentaires. If there is any difference in the picture quality, I sure can't see it. If anything there is a slight decrease in the audio quality. (Here I'm narrowly defining 'quality' as enough bass to dance the glassware off the shelves during the lift-off; it seemed slightly less intense on the new version.)

Disk two has the IMAX version and a couple of historical features. I'm sure the IMAX version was impressive in an IMAX theater, but it is pointless on a TV screen. First off, its 25 minutes shorter, achieved apparently by deleteing scenes at random. Secondly, the aspect ratio is reduced from the wide-screen version. Its about mid-way between the wide screen ratio, and a regular TV full-screen format. I greatly prefer the wide screen version.

The two 'new' features are pretty dull. One is a 10-year old news program about Apollo 13; the other is a 2-year old very general, very incomplete recap of the entire space program.

If you currently have a good DVD copy of Apollo 13, don't waste money on the 'new' one. The only good news is that it was only ~$15; if you don't have Apollo 13 on DVD, what are you waiting for?

GC

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP

How about this?

He signed the base of my Danbury Mint Apollo 13 replica. I would think that was not a rip. He did "Houston we have a problem" and his sig. The replica is totally cool and very detailed.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Thanks for the heads up. I saw it in the store, but didn't grab it yet.

I'm annoyed that the 2 VHS movies I went and bought on DVD both now have new editions coming out a few months later: Apollo 13 now, and October Sky soon. October Sky is supposed to have some additional classroom oriented stuff on it. And I just got an email from Homer's list that another of his books will be made into a movie soon.

Bob Kaplow

Currently reading "The Keeper's Son", and "The Ambassador's Son.

GC

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP

Yeah, but we all know that's not Lovell; that's the actor that played a navy captain on the welcoming committee on the Apollo 13 recovery carrier in the movie.

GC

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP

Really. Keep dreaming. Dork.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

Umm, Greg?

You do know that Lovell was an 'extra' in that scene, right?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Actually no I didn't know that :-)

Reply to
Greg Cisko

"The Ambassador's Son" it is...

Bob Kaplow

Sorry, Greg, but Gary is right. In the movie Apollo 13, Jim Lovell plays the Captain of the Navy recovery vessel. It's really him in the movie.

Interesting tidbit: The second person to greet the Apollo 13 crew, after the Captain was Mike Jerauld's (NSL 2005 director) father, the Navy Chaplan of the ship.

Bob Kaplow

Gary is always right :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine