Extreme DVD Problems ? HELP

This is for anyone that has purchased the LDRS22 DVD from Extreme

Mine arrived today and it does not seem to work, what DVD players does it work on (Confirmed)

It did not work in mine (Apex ) so I went out and purchased another brand (did not work) returned it and purchased yet another name brand (did not work)

HELP!!

I want to watch this thing ASAP Please let me know if it works on you DVD and what Name brand and Model ??

Thanks Curtis-

Reply to
Curtis Turner

Don't feel stupid Curtis. I bought the LDRS 21 DVD, watched it one time, albeit jerky, then it fried on me. Tried to run it on 3 other machines, no bueno. Never bothered to send it back or complain, merely decided to wait to see if the quality improved. I see by your problems, it has not. Thanks for saving me the $$, I was considering ordering this years version. Guess I will wait yet another year. On a brighter note, I understand ER will make it right with you if you send it back in to get a replacement that works, as they had to do last year. Good thing they don't make life rafts....glub...glub....

Pat G

Reply to
Potrocs

Or online websites or magazines. :)

Just how extreme is Extreme Rocketry?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I also got mine today, and it worked fine in my Sony.

it seems that they wanted to cover as many project as possible, so you'll see quick launches and a cutover to recovery (in some cases). I was disappointed with the camera focus on serveral flights once they were airborne, and a Cert Level 3 flight where you never saw if the recovery was OK or not.

my good friend Paul Yarnold was interviewed, and it was good to see the guy behind the voice. I've seen alot of faces in mags and previous LDRS CD's, but his was a first. Rocket was straight as an arrow too.

Some of the flights I recognized from the TDC show, like the 'stubby', 'my stinkin rocket' and the 'cow-castrophe!', but I was glad to have watched Rocket Challenge because it covered the projects much more in depth.

the music was nice too

I'd' also like to mention that Brent included a letter of apology as to why the shipments were delayed. He said due to economic he had to let go his two staff, and now its just him working 12 hour days, 6-7 days a week.

I know what that schedule is like, because I have done it myself off and on for two years, but I was sorry to hear about his plight. I can see how vendors would decide to throw in the towel, but hope that the situation turns around soon. We need experienced vendors in rocketry.

Anyway, if your DVD won't play in a friend's unit, I would ask Brent for a replacement, as it may just be defective. Hope it works out for you.

- iz

Curtis Turner wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

He has the freedom to decline advertising from at least three vendors, so it is hard to have any sympathy whatsoever. Especially since at least one of them is the ONLY vendor following federal law on motor access.

Except . . . Except . . . Except . . .

Just Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That sucks. I know in the last issue of ER he mentions that the mag was losing money, and had to cut back on the use of color but I didn't realize things were so bad.

Reply to
RayDunakin

He leads the charge to demand consumers get LEUP's they do not legally need, so what do you expect from the First Mate of the Titanic?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Your experience doesn't match mine. I've only encountered one player that doesn't like my two ER DVDs, and that's the one in this computer. The other two I own play them just fine, as do the players of everyone I've loaned them to.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

If you are saying three other computers, the herkey jerkey is often a memory allocation issue. If it's on a DVD player I'm at a loss, unless the DVDs are over one hour of playtime. The extended encoding doesn't work properly on all DVD-R players

Kevin

That may just be a software download away from working........I've heard that many times before and it seems to have worked. If you have a drive which will read DVDs then it is just software you need

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

In my case, the drive doesn't even recognize the disc.

I'm using the same software as on the laptop, which plays them just fine.

I know some players have problems with these discs.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Any disc that bad is simply made wrong. There are programs to check the finalized DVD content for compatibility with a wide range of players. Obviously this discmaster was not even run on it, much less purchased by the publisher.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The list of DVD players with verified compatibility with the DVD-R format can be found at:

If your ER disc doesn't work in your home DVD player, it isn't necessarily an indication of a problem, as many early DVD players simply can't read the DVD-R media. Fortunately, nearly all of the players manufactured today can read the discs.

OTOH, if you couldn't the thing to work in three different players, you probably have a bum disc. The glaring giveaway here is the fact that it didn't work on the Apex unit; the Chinese manufacturers have generally elected to go out of their way to make the DVD players they produce work with as many different types of media as possible.

If a DVD-ROM drive can't read your DVD-R disc, check for the latest software and firmware updates. If that doesn't fix the problem, you probably have a defective disc.

Early DVD adopters (those of you who purchased more than two years ago), it's probably time to get a new player.

James

__________________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

When buying a new DVD player look for the term "Progressive Scan". This will play most any format used today.

Reply to
David Bachelder

Ah, you must be a Circuit City salesman. ;O)

Reply to
BB

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:52:36 GMT, "Curtis Turner"

Which model Apex?? I have the 600A and it wouldn't play DVD-R's but i burnt a cd with new firmware and was able to update the DVD drive. No problems now. I know updates are available for a few other models.

Email me and i'll try to help ya out. (take all the dashes out of my email listed or find my email on the website below)

Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

Curtis,

You probably have a bad disc. It happens. I've purchased regular DVDs (not DVD-R) from Best Buy and gotten bad discs.

My Extreme DVD arrived today. It seems to play okay. Last year's Extreme DVD would sometimes play and sometimes not play in the same machine. In some machines it would play fine. I've seen the problem with other DVD-R discs.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Roth

I remember past ER DVDs needed some wierd CODEC.

Ray Halm wasn't at LDRS but check his web site for some videos that are much better than the ones ER does. As far as I know, Ray is only doing VHS.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Maybe he would lisence DVD format to a vendor with knowledge of how to properly author a DVD on a modern mac?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nope. The standard DVD video format is MPEG-2. Burn the disc in some other format, and it'll suck on a standard TV.

Here's a good overview of the different DVD formats out there, including an explanation of teh DVD-R format:

James

______________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
James Duffy

OK, can someone explain in simple terms, the difference between DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+-R, DVDR, etc...

Bob Kaplow