Need Help: Need GPS Coordinates

Guys if you know a address here in the USA is there anyway to get it translated online into GPS coordinates. I need the GPS coordinates to put on a FAA waiver as the launch site is within 5 miles of a very active medium size airport...

any suggestions ideas. I don't own a gps receiver.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

FAA wants VOR angle (vector) and range anyway.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Richard Smith Jr.

perhaps but I have no way of knowing how to tell them info..On our last FAA waivers, the GPS coordinates were sufficient here. I supply them with the 2 maps they ask for on the waiver: specifically A 7.5 series Topo Quad map showing the launching location and a graphical copy of the St.Louis Sectional map that the flying sites are under... those with the GPS is all they have asked me for in the past...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

richard: I see where I can get a Long and LAt how does one get the GPS> or where can I convert lat and long to GPS?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Hi Shockie,

so others getting waivers do not get confused, you are supposed to supply them with VOR name, radial and DME.

to get that, go to your local airport, like the one near the launch and get a sectional map from the pilots store.

these are great fun for $6

find the place of your launch on the sectional map.

look at the VOR by it, and note it's name.

find the radial off the VOR circle on the map, and note it's degrees, like

122 degrees.

use the nautical miles chart on the map and make a ruler with a piece of cardboard.

using that, find out ho many nautical miles your site is from the center of that VORs.

when calling in NOTAMs or filling out a waiver form you say,

location Waterhouse VOR, 122 radial 22 DME.

use Zulu (UTC) time as well, and note it as UTC.

this makes their job easier and is the way they were trained.

I belive this is on the NAR website and TRA websites on how to get a waiver.

these sectional maps will also let you see great places to get 10,000K waivers away from airline traffice, as the airline routes are printed on them, and you can see the hi-ways and byways between the VORS.

Reply to
AlMax

But they will translate Lat/Long into Radial/Distance for you.

You can get the data from

Get a map of your location, zoom in as necessary, and select the "display lat/long" for the click response. I've used those numbers to put me within 50' of the front door of the NARAM-45 hotel.

Back in the old days, I bought a USGS Topo map of the area. THat is still useful if you want to see the contour of the area. Hiking/camping and bike stores often have them.

Bob Kaplow

Reply to
Richard Smith Jr.

Go to your local airport and ask the FBO (Fixed Base Operater), this is where the small private planes park and get gas, to see their sectional chart. These are very detailed maps showing roads, rivers, landmarks etc. They also show the locations of airports and Navagational Aids. The FAA would like to know the radial and DME (distance) for you proposed launch location from one or more of these. This is so that the Air Traffic Control folks know where, when, and how high to keep aircraft away from that area. If an area is HOT or ACTIVE as we say then all aircraft flying in that area are notified by a Flight Service Station, Local Control Tower, Approach Control, or Air Route Traffic Contol Center that is near or controls that airspace. The best you can do is look at the sectional chart and find your spot then figure the Lat/Long for it and find the radials and DME's from two nearby navaids (VOR/VORTAC) this gives ATC a great cross reference to triangulate with. Also be sure to send/call in your notifications as needed. If you are that near an airport also ask the FBO and or ATC folks when their low volume flying is. If you try and get a waiver for a peak time frame it may be rejected, especially if commercial/airline or military flights are affected/ involved. Lastly talk to the FBO, FSS, ATC and even more so the Flight Standards Distric Office (FSDO) they can help you a lot. The FBO should have all these numbers available and if not write me and I will see what I can find for you.

"shockwaveriderz" wrote in message news:6JY3e.132547$r55.77228@attbi_s52...

Reply to
nitram578

How about this: How about I scan a section of my St.Louis Sectional that has this area in question on it. You can clearly see around this airport a vor ... I can place a small x on this image to show you the actual location. Then somebody could calculate the correct vor to tell them? I need somebody to show me how to do this properly via email perhaps? Any takers?

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Or free online.

Steven P. McNicoll

Damn Nitram! That was acronym overload. My brain still hurts.

Reply to
Bill Richardson

The waiver NEEDS the VOR reference on it to be "right". Deal with it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Kewl, thanks Steven.

But I found it hard to measure DME with my Cardboard ruler on the laptop monitor ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

If you have a sectional, follow my directions to find the radial and DME ?

Reply to
AlMax

PLEASE take his excellent advise

Jerry Irvine

Try this:

Steven P. McNicoll

Shock, a GPS is just a system used to _get_ the longitude and latitude. If you can get those from some other source, you don't need the GPS.

Reply to
raydunakin

location.

All you have to do is give them the latitude and longitude, the FAA can figure out the VOR stuff from that. Latitude and longitude is all we've ever needed to get waivers for our club's site.

raydunakin

Well, some in the FAA can.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll