UPDATE: Cancelled MR/LMR launch by FAA

well I took BK advice and called one of his contacts and emailed the other...

here is the email response I got:

"Sorry to hear of your conflicts with the local FAA managers. This is becoming much more common recently. Some Air Traffic managers have interpreted the pertinent portions of FAR 101 as allowing them to deny permission for any launch, MR/LMR/high power/whatever, if, in their opinion, the launch activity constitutes a hazard to flight operations. These potential hazards have been deemed to include the possibility of causing an aircraft to take evasive action if the pilot sees a smoke trail from the ground toward their aircraft. Unfortunately, as the regulations are written, I'm afraid the managers are within their rights to take these actions. You know and I know that there is no actual hazard to any aircraft, but the problem is the perception, not the reality. I will look further into the situation, and see if there is any assistance I can provide."

I called the FAA guy and got a return phone call from his 'assiatnat" who informed me he was too busy to get involved, so she provided me with another persons phone number to call...

So it apperas that the FAA can deny permission for LMR and MR launches if in their opinion, there is a potential colision hazard....

well the good news is I scouted out a new launch field Saturday and have a presentation to provide the local Parks and Recreation for use of this new field..the very good news is this site is not within 5 miles of any airport... so stay tuned.... as the stomach turns.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

If it keeps up too much, we should organize a protest. Put a bunch of barbecues around an airport, start smoking some ribs, and keep taking the lid of the barbecues. Not only effective, but will get lots of people to come for the food!

David Erbas-White

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Keep at it I know a lot of ATC folks are not as well informed about the hobbyas we wou;ld like. Suggestion invite them to a launch sometime. If they feel the rush your in and if not no worse off.

Reply to
nitram578

Correct.

Correct. This is what Bob's contact (also my contact BTW) told me. BUT!!!! The hazard to aircraft has to be proven. They cannot do it on someone's say so.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

The other point is exactly how this is enforced...

Reply to
Greg Cisko