Apollo, you get to pick

You get to pick which mission and role. Would you want to be the first down, last off, ""stuck"" in the command module,....

Command module pilot is like driving the kids to Disneyland and ~then~ sitting in the car the whole time. I don't care which of the later missions, but I'd want to be making dust with a rover!

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

First down. Everyone always remembers Neil Armstrong. But who was the LAST man to walk on the moon? I'll admit I don't know. Cy Cernin? Not sure why his name just popped into my head - he probably didn't even get his feet dirty...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Eugene Cernan has the distinction of being the last man to walk on the moon. However, Harrison (Jack) Schmitt claims that he was the last person to set foot on the moon since Gene exited the Lunar Module (Challenger) before he did.

FWIW, Ronald Evans was the Command Module (America) Pilot.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

What were they supposed to do; wait on the corner until the bus came to pick them up? :-)

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

You mean I was *right*?!? Wow... I should buy a lotto ticket tonight.

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Gene Cernan. Got to see him last fall, but he was too rushed to sign autographs. I had his book "Last Man on the Moon" for him to sign had there been time. He was rather disappointed that he still held that title. It's as if Columbus made his trips to the "new world", then no one else ever came.

He did have an interesting explanation for our space endeavors. He said that it was as if someone took a decade out of the middle of the 21st century and dropped it into the middle of the 20th century. We jumped ahead of ourselves.

Bob Kaplow

I've had somewhat similar thoughts... the Cold War ICBM projects and the Space Race pushed our rocket technology to a premature plateau from which it has yet to recover.

(It's still kind of hard to imagine: designing something like a Titan or a Saturn with early 1960's electronics! Although even then, large government projects did have access to the sort of embedded computing capability that microcontroller chips later made universally available - they just went ahead and built the thing out of individual transistors and logic chips! A CRT display might require a rack full of circuits to do what we now have on a basic PC video card... NASA went ahead and built that rack.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Well, if any of those explorers had brought back a chest full of gold or diamond the size of your fist, we'd be complaining about rush hour and over population on the moon.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I think I'd want to be Al Bean/LMP of 12. While he didn't get to go w/ a rover, he and his crew had the most enjoyable time of it. I'd love a trip to the moon with Pete Conrad. Art T South Jersey Area Rocketry Society NAR# 34201 L1

Reply to
SirWmOsler

So it is like China discovering the new world, and then destroying all thier ships.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I want that problem.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm surprised I haven't seen the real anser yet from any one in the newsgroup.

I'd take a seat on ANY flight that put me in space and returned me home. I'd sit next to Chuck Yeager, Milton Thompson, Neil Armstrong, John Young, Gene Cernan, Hoot Gibson, Jay Apt, Eileen Collins, or Mike Melvill. I might pass on Jose Jiminez :-)

Bob Kaplow

I understood the question to be, "what mission would you pick from the Apollo moon missions?" But given the criteria you laid out - ANY mission that got back safely...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Amen, brother.

I wouldn't care who the f*ck I had to sit next to. The ride would be worth the trouble! And I wouldn't necessarily care if I got got home.

Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Alpha Centari, et al, should be a one way trip.

Hey, if it worked for the Mayflower, why shouldn't it work for us????

Reply to
LittleGreyPoodle

Interesting take on it... :-)

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Um, the Mayflower and its crew sailed back to England after the first winter so it wasn't a one way trip for everyone.