Boeing/Northup CEV

Just to let you know that Northup/Boeing have released thier CEV design. Looks like an Apollo capsule with some modifications to
increase the cabin volume. From the numbers I am hearing its an 18 foot diameter craft. Can carry a crew of 6 to the ISS or 4 to the Moon. Power is via solar arrays. Must be a selling point that you do not get an Apollo 13 situation. There is a boost protective cover and escape rocket. Ohhh, we could do a new Little Joe II with this !!
All joking aside its Lockheed vs Boeing. From an engineering perspective I see Lockheed the winner. You get cross ranging, lower Gee reentry and crew volume. But all the NASA press releases sure sound like a CSM style of craft. Boeing and Northup are playing that tune. And keep saying they will make it land on dry ground. From an aerodynamic standpoint I think that is wishful thinking. I rather make lift at 300 fps that be a canoon ball.
In the end it will be a battle for cost and operability. If the CEV is not done, we will not be putting people in space via the governnment. And the real issue will not be the CEV but the new lunar lander. The lander is going to really be a challenge. Able to support a crew of 4 for a week as a minimum. Likely a H2/O2 desc3ent stage and a CH4/Lox ascent stage. I can not seem to remember anyone doing a CH4 based engine before. But rumor has it that Pratt and Whitney worked a few designs.
In any event, it will be interesting to see what we build and fly
North is only up if you are in the south.

Enough Little Joe. It's time for a Hoss or Adam instead :-)
On 18 Oct 2005 12:09:13 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Given the recent Chinese space flights perhaps Hop Sing would be a good name. They could always promote it from the equal-opportunity/diversity angle and get some good P.R. ;-)
Jonathan ----- Jonathan Sivier Secretary, Central Illinois Aerospace jsivier AT uiuc.edu NAR #56437 Tripoli #1906 CIA Web Site: http://www.prairienet.org/cia / Home Page: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/jsivier/www / ----- "Is that a rocket in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
Jonathan, That was basically my thoughts. But we could always have a full cast one from each different company/partnership. But then that may wind up like the Ponderosa/Bonanza reunion show. Adam walks in and says "Pa" "Hoss" "Little Joe" " Hop Sing"....."Pa" "Hoss" " Little Joe" "Hop Sing"....Thank you Bob and Tom Television Network!
writes:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:25:41 -0500, "nitram578"

I was thinking Hop Sing as well. However, there was one episode of Bonanza where Hoss flew a glider, more or less. Of course "Pa" went on to command the Galactica...

And you must not forget Little Joe went on to first drive a wagon across the pririe and then was prmoted to a walking angel going town to town helping others.