SORE-Society of Old RockEteers

Recently I became a member of SORE(pronounced SOAR): Society for Old RockEteers, by virtue of the fact that I:

  1. started in model rocketry before 1970 ( 1967 actually) and
  2. attained the ripe old age of 50.
  3. was born before 1957 when Model Rocketry started

So to be a member you have to be at least 50 years old and have started in model rocketry before 1970. Why 1970 you say? well actually the cutoff date is 9/69 when Vern Estes finalized his sale of Estes Industries,Inc to Damon.

It doesn't cost anything to be a member of this sacred organization, other than that you have attained the above 3 mentioned requirements plus one more. As most of you truly "Old Rocketeers" know, we are the last of a dying breed. We were there at or almost the beginning of the hobby sport of model rocketry. Our numbers dwindle every year to us dying off. And nothing is being done to preserve our precious history. Sure there re a few sites up like Ninfinger and Ye Old Rocket Shoppe. There's the Old-timers Yahoo group that is much off topic as it is on topic.

Anyway.... The purpose of this post is to alert you to the fact that we, "Old Rocketeers", as guardians of the past history of model rocketry , are in danger of forever losing our precious past so that future generations of model rocketeers will never know what we helped to build.

So my 4th requirement for membership into SORE, would be to amend your WILL NOW such that all of your OLD model rocketry models, kits, magazines,catalogs,papers,motors,etc.. are donated to the Society of Old RockEteers. Since I expect most of us to die off over the next 20-30 years in the potentially thousands, all of the old memorabilia will be automatically be bequeathed to SORE; SORE's responsibility will be to collect and maintain at least 2 copies of everything that it may acquire. the first copy of the materials collected will go into the SORE National Model Rocketry Museum, to be built in Norfolk, Nebraska home of Orv H. Carlisle and his brother Robert Carlisle, the man who first had the idea for a model rocket and the person who actually made model rockets a reality.. The 2nd copy of everything would go into a heated and cooled humidity controlled warehouse as an backup archival collection.

If it becomes impossible to build an actual physical depository for our materials collected, then SORE would also create a members only and pay for view website for those that would like to browse through our collection of materials.

Obviously as thousands of us start dying off over the next 20-30 years, there will the occasions where SORE will accumulate multiple copies of documents such as catalogs, Model Rocket News, etc, so in that case, all collected ideas more than the 1st and 2nd copies will be auctioned off to the highest bidder on EBAY, with the proceeds going towards the National Model Rocket Museum and the archival warehouse facility.

Membership into SORE is an invitation ONLY membership. In other words, unless you can meet the above 4 mentioned membership requirements, you cannot be a member, although at a later date for people who are interested in preserving our model rocketry history may be able to join as associate, non-voting members.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Aren't the latter two requirements sort of redundant? I was born in '55, and I'd love to know how I could AVOID being 50...

Hard to remember exactly when I started, but my first purchase was a starter set with an Alpha, an Electro-Launch, engines and Ray-o-vac batteries for eight bucks. 68 or 69? I recall the price more than the date because my father kicked in a few bucks to keep me from stealing his flashlight batteries.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

I could be a member except I am not 50 yet. Was born in '56 and I remember the letter Vern wrote reassuring modelers there wouldn't be any major changes after Estes Industries became a "subsidiary of Damon Industries" (or was it corporation?) I was in the 4th grade when I started and dropped out at roughly 16 years of age. BAR'd last year. My start date would have been in 1964 or 65.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

I was born in 1956 too and have been flying since 1968 but don't qualify for old fart status. Oh well.

Randy

<randyolb

that should have read:

  1. started in model rocketry before 1970 ( 9/1969 actually) OR

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

So where/when the website or user's group? :> REALLY SORE from this weekend's October Skies launch outside Fresno, CA with Tripoli Central California.

terry

shockwaveriderz wrote:

Reply to
Terry Swift

Ahhh, now that makes a big difference. I qualify on 1) but not 2) or 3).

Reply to
bit eimer

Bummer! I just miss... Born in 1956 but won't be 50 till next August... :)

Started rocketry in 1963 (42 years now...)

Have built more rockets than I can count including every rocket Estes ever produced up to about 1972. ;That's when I got very deep into scratch building.

jim

Reply to
jflis

Well lets see, I built my first Estes Scout in 1966, I was born in 1948.

Nuff Said.

Reply to
Starlord

Reply to
paul

Reply to
Christopher Brian Deem

Lookee what "shockwaveriderz" said!

Perhaps this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but my will already stipulates that any of my property pertaining to the hobby of model rocketry is to be donated to my local NAR section or an educational institution that can use it.

Bill Sullivan

"Don't overestimate the decency of the human race."

- H. L. Mencken

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Lookee what "shockwaveriderz" said!

Lessee. I was born in 1951 and built my first rocket in 1964. I am ancient and flatulent (although thanks to a recent surgery my relief port is now located at 4 O'clock relative to my navel.)

My rock band of choice is The Grateful Dead. That's why I wish Estes would bring back the Dark Star motors.

Beverage of choice is Guinness.

Favorite Movie: Casablanca

Favorite Bad Movie: Manos: Hands of Fate, with Starship Troopers running a close second.

Favorite Old Rocket: Estes X-Ray

My will stipulates that upon my demise, all of my rocketry goodies will be donated to my NAR section.

So am I SORE?

Bill Sullivan

"Don't overestimate the decency of the human race."

- H. L. Mencken

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Drifting off topic...

Interesting Bill. Are you talking Guinness as sold in the U.S. or real Guinness, as sold in Ireland?

We aren't really beer fans but in October of 2004 Verna and our oldest daughter spent a week in Ireland and she tried a pint of Guinness at a local pub in Shannon and actually liked it pretty well. When she got back, we tried it in cans, bottles and as sold at O'Charley's. She said what she got on tap in Ireland was WAAAAAY better than what's sold here in the U.S.

I believe her, what I tried here was horrible. It tasted like old cough syrup. I don't drink more than a couple of beers socially per year, so I may not be a good judge but I'd much rather have a Killen's Red than just about any other beer.

Personally, if I'm having "fire water" I much prefer good ole Jack Daniel's or Smirnov. ; )

(Smirnov is made by real Russian Cherokees ya know.) ; )

Randy

<randyolb

Ahh, OK.

I was ready to troll about it being elitist, since I'm not 50.

but now that I can be part of the elite, if I was to be invited that is, I wont ;-)

Reply to
Al

When I used to drink (I also used to work on the Stock Exchange floor, so I drank a lot) my Blackrock morning tipple was Tang mixed with Russian Vodka (Stolichniya).

And yes rockets will be donated to LUNAR when the time comes.

Reply to
paul

I've heard that's what Gagarin had on his flights back in the 60's. ; )

Randy

<randyolb

Before they found that you could mix it with water to make an orange drink, Tang was eaten dry. It was called Spoon Tang then...

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

WOW! I bow to the master. Does that make this a "poon" instead of a pun?

Reply to
Bill Eichelberger

I'm 43, was born in 1962, didn't start flying until 1977, and now because of SORE, I'm planning to stipulate in my will that all of my rocket stuff be cremated with me. I fart in your 50 year old general direction. ;-) =8-O

Reply to
Bill Eichelberger