Completing our unfinished business on the moon

Or tornados at the solar array park.

The first thing they should do after building the moon base is to get one of the old lunar rovers and put it up on concrete (or lunar-crete) blocks in the "front yard". ;)

Reply to
Tim

Nothing to worry about, you just need to get a few of these:

Rocket Flyer Southeast Georgia

Reply to
Rocket Flyer

That would be cool, as long as they don't charge a fee. I mean, who would wanna spend a buck to see that!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Thanks for the link, very interesting stuff there.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I think they could be just laid on the lunar surface. No poles, no burying. If something happens to one, you go fix it, just like they do on Earth. You'd need a redundant array with multiple collectors and multiple sites scattered around the moon.

Bob Kaplow

You're welcome. :)

Reply to
Tim

Yes, Cdr. Koenig.

Bob Kaplow

I think it was Jerry Pournel who said "Getting to orbit is 90% of the trip."

The moon is a pretty good first step, much easier than climbing out of the earth's gravity well to start each and every trip.

Ted

Reply to
R Ted Phipps

Oh, Chuck, use your imagination! The high tension lines will be on the bottom of the moon, protected from all the micro-metioites that fall upon it!

steve

Reply to
default

It wouldn't work on Earth, either, If you were trying to process the dirt in your backyard into Ti. You gots to go prospecting, Larry. The Moon is a whole damn world, there's places with greater concentrations of whatever you want, I suspect. (as long as it's lighter than iron) -Braz NAR 12442

Reply to
elbraz

Hardly - more like 30% more intense. Solar constant = 1353 Watts/m^2 on the moon and above Earth's atmosphere. You can get about 1000 Watts/m^2 at sea level on a clear day. Then your solar cells lose

80-90% of this as heat.

Metals extraction on the moon to make space-qualified hardware won't happen for a long time, if ever. Propellants and concrete, maybe.

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

Actually, it was Heinlein... "Once you're in orbit, you're halfway to ANYWHERE..." :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Then G. Harry used it as the title of a book about SSTO/DC-X.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Same format on ROL Chat 24/7

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Last I looked this behavior is also actively encouraged over on the Baen Books forums... a publisher and editor encourageing the waste of time and bandwidth caused by rampant unconsidered, and unedited, top posting.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

So? That makes it ok? Just how is web based "chat" comparable to Usenet, anyway?

My TV strolls CNN headlines horizontally, so maybe that is how we should post to Usenet. Or how about my truck takes all-terrain tires, so I should use them on all vehicles, right? Those 3 guys over there just robbed a bank, so that must be ok, too.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Phil Phil Phil

I like top posting here. The reason is that I've probably already read the message that that message is responding to & don't need to read it again. Also, with top posting, I don't have to scroll through the stuff I read in a previous post.

Phil Phil Phil Phil Phil

Reply to
Phil Stein

Interesting problem. On earth, high power cables are elevated and splayed out for security and air cooling of the cables. If they were buried, the heat would build up untill the cable failed. They jack up the voltage to reduce the resitance, but only to the point where losses from other mechanism become significant. On the moon, there is no atmosphere, so the cable cooling would have to be radiant, unless the heat conductivity of lunar material is much higher than that of the earth. OTOH, they could use micrwave power transmission since there is no atmosphere to attenuate it. My guess is they would just make du with local solar energy collection and local energy storage.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones