Cutting Carbon Fiber / Nomex Sandwich Composite Fins

Any suggestions ? I tried some test cuts in a scrap area and the results

*weren't* pretty. Knife / razorblade is a no-go...can't apply enough force to cut and still stay on the line.

Scroll saw just tore the material apart...

Dremel cutting wheel is too difficult to guide...

I don't have access to a milling machine...

As received from the supplier the cut edges are quite smooth in the "long" dimension but have been torn loose and splintered on the "short" sides.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted !

John

Reply to
John Bonnett

I used a hand held sabre saw on the 1/8" stuff I bought. I also found that an Exacto knife cut it quite easily. I am not sure why you are having so much trouble.

Oh, I did run mask> Any suggestions ? I tried some test cuts in a scrap area and the results

Reply to
David Schultz

A steel ruler comes in handy.....helps guide the blade.

Reply to
CJC

I'd try a bandsaw if you have access to one. Scroll saws and jig saws yank the material back and forth; a bandsaw blade only goes one direction. Putting tape on one or both sides might help too.

Reply to
David

I've used it on the fiberglass/nomex stuff. The edges were a little rough but can be sanded. The nomex will still be a little ratty but the parts that stick out from the cut edge are soft and flexible, so they haven't been a problem. In fact I think they help when gluing on the stripwood edging -- gives the glue plenty to adhere to.

Reply to
raydunakin

Solved the problem with an old cabinet-makers trick for dealing with fragile veneers. I took some 1/32nd ply, dusted strips with a light coat of spray adhesive and stuck them to the composite top & bottom were cuts had to be made. Ran it through the scroll saw and carefully removed the ply. Nice, clean cuts with no splintering of the carbon.

The inner nomex is...weird. It feels like its put together with Elmer's glue or something similar. I've *never* seen an epoxy as soft and flexible as this stuff is.

John

Reply to
John Bonnett