Do I need to unload the RMS motor I did not use at Dairy Aire?

I loaded an Aerotech HP motor at Dairy Aire but did not get a chance to launch it. Can I leave it loaded with no igniter for several (say 7)
months. Or, should I take it apart and clean all the grease off? If I leave it assembled will the orings take a set and not seal at flight time? Will the teflon grease I used soak into the liner or propellant causing a problem? I don't have experience with this as of yet. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks, KT
I don't think you need to completely unload it. Just back off on the closures to relieve the pressure on the o-rings, and put it in a ziplock bag. When you are ready to use it, don't forget to tighten the closures!
James
@

leave

Note to this and the other responses:
Do **NOT** back off the closures on the motor if the ejection charge has been loaded in the motor. Backing off on the closure and then retightening with BP already on board will result in the BP grains contaminating the o-ring seal. The results will NOT be pretty.
And it doesn't matter at all which end you back off: unscrewing the nozzle end still uncompresses the delay / ejection O-ring and contaminates the seal.
If you have NOT installed the BP, then you can do this.
There is anecdotal evidence that a delay of months, or even a year is not a problem. But I wouldn't recommend anything that long. IIRC the original poster said 7 months, so I'd disassemble everything, seal the cumbustible stuff in an airtight ziploc, and clean the grease and BP off the O-rings.
writes:

the
(yet)! <<<

www.nar.org
Good point, Bob. If there is BP in there, backing off the closures would be a bad thing.
So, Caneman (I know who you are!), bring that motor to me. I'll see to it that it gets burned in a timely manner... 8^)
James
James, is that you? You could add the motor to your pile of HP motors so we are even safer from stray rockets because the pile of motors to hide behind is taller! Joking aside, I had not put the BP charge in because I did not want it spilling all over if the paper cap came off. So I was ok with either backing of the closures or dissasembling and cleaning grease of the liner. I did the latter.
Thanks for the help!
KT
Luckily I did not put the ejection charge in. I have gone ahead and dissassembled the motor and cleaned off all the grease.
Thanks to all for the help!
KT
From the FAQ under "Help" at the http://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/ site comes:

compression set of the delay element. If it is necessary to store the motor before a launch, loosen the aft closure slightly (about one turn) to reduce the pre-loading of the delay o-rings.
Take a look at the warranty and you'll note:

before flight ...
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3
Yes and no. Depends on the reload and the liner.

your just supposed to grease the o ring..what are you putting grease everywhere for? clean the casing properly and your case will last a long time..
Booms wrote:

Many people have suggested greasing the ID of the casing to make it easier to remove the spent liner and cleaning the casing becomes a snap. I have tried it with the last few launches and it works great. That is why there is grease on the liner.
KT
See 2.2 in http://tinyurl.com/p3ek8 for instance, Aerotech recommends greasing the liner. During cleanup they recommend greasing the inside of the casing.     Will
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L3

quick! find another HPR launch to go to!!!!!!
solves most of your problems :)