Premeasured Unrammed Rockets

I have been buying Pyrodex to make my rockets. While i have been buying it in FFFG size i have also seen it in premeasured pellets. My question is can these premeasured charges be used to make rocket engens if you can get the rocket body for them. I am looking at the 50 caliber 60 grain rounds. Any input from more experienced rocket builders would be apriciated!

Reply to
acoop101

If you put pyrodex into a motor casing as is and press it will go bang not swish. The same with black powder or any other substitute. You have to grind it up to a fine powder before pressing. And even then if you don't press it hard enough it will bang. If you don't support the motor casing OD while pressing it will go bang because you will overstress the casing as you press in the powder. Go buy "How to Build Amateur Rocket Motors" by David Sleater (I think that is how you spell it). You can find the book on Ebay. Follow his instructions to the T and you will be successful in making black powder motors.

KT

Reply to
cane-man

The pellets are DEFINITELY not to be played with - ask my wife about her new door panel.... they do go bang... b Buy a ready made one - have fun.

Reply to
<locprecision

If you want this for a headline news:

Local Teen Kills Himself While Attempting to Make Rocket Motors

then go ahead and try it.

Reply to
tai fu

IIRC it was pressing motors from BP pellets that blew up on Cox back when they made model rocket motors in the 70s.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow