[F-FT] Level 1 rocket

I agree, but I've run RockSim on it, and there are other motors that will work okay (actually, some even give a 'better' projected outcome), so there are a few other engines that will work. Thanks for all of your responses, they're very helpful.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Agreed, I haven't quite decided what recovery system I'll do yet.

??? What do you mean by this???

Agreed, I've been looking at the rail button as an alternative.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

My version of the answers, embedded below...

the only rocket I flew FIRST as a certification flight was my Level 3 rocket.

Find a vendor that does not charge hazmat on 29mm motors. There isn't a limit to the number of low or mid-power motors you can buy, even if they "add up" to the equivalent of a high-power motor. (I think that a G motor with 80 NS average thrust or higher might be considered high power, but I can't get to the NAR site right now to check).

That's silly. There's plenty of play in the tube, and if it does get enough crud in it, just run a bristle brush or something up in there to knock the crud off. I've never had to do that, and I have rockets with 30+ high power flights with varying sized motors.

No.

Correct, if you are smart enough to make sure your witness are watching, you've pretty much got Level 1 nailed.

I know you've thought about this a lot, but you seem to have changed your goal from what you said in your original thread. If you want a rocket that you can fly mostly on mid-power, but also get your certification, that rocket is pretty heavy. You're going to want to launch it on H or above pretty much. Something smaller/lighter like a Black Brant VB or mini-BBX flies much better on F and G motors. I got the 38mm mount in my BBVB, and I just put two T-nuts in the aft centering ring. I use brass strips with a screw for motor retention, and I use the 38-29 adapter to fly with F40, G64, H128, and H180.

Reply to
David

See

then click on the Construction link, then click on Anti-Zipper Design.

If you happen to like viewing videos of rocket launches then pay close attention to the stress put on the chute during deployment. You will notice that rockets that utilize an Anti-Zipper design have chutes that open more readily and are under less stress when they do open and this design also reduces the stress put on the ends of the body tubes by the shock cord.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Grippo

NO. Neither NAR nor TRA rules require a new rocket.

ANy motor that exceeds one of the NFPA 1122 model rocket motor limits. That usually meand >80N average thrust (F101, G104, G125) or >62.5g propellant (G33, G75)

Real. I've got several blistered MMTs. An adapter or spacer will prevent this.

Nope. Just constructed in a manner that will pass the inspection.

You can show up cold and certify. But I'd much prefer someone who contacts me in advance so I can give advice and guidance than someone who shows up with a poor choice of rocket and motor and then is surprised that I'm reluctant to have them certify using what turns out to be a poor choice of models and/or motors.

Bob Kaplow

Wrong. Don't know if there are any Fs in current production, but botthe G33 and G75 are HPR, and maybe others.

Bob Kaplow

Alas, one good source of casings these days is to buy them off someone who is getting out of the hobby thanks the the overregulation by the BATFE. I've picked up several that way. And may yet sell them for hte same reason...

Bob Kaplow

Good point!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Bob, I think you might be confusing the hazmat shipping regs with the "high power" definition. Neither of the G33 or G75 are high power, but I think the G104T is.

Reply to
David

Ok, ignore my previous post, I was wrong.

Reply to
David

The G33 has 72.2 grams of propellant. NFPA 1122 section 3.3.8 says a model rocket motor must have less than 62.5 grams of propellant. Section 3.3.4 says that a high power motor is one that has more than

62.5 grams of pr> Bob, I think you might be confusing the hazmat shipping regs with the "high
Reply to
Will Marchant

Both the MR propellant limit and the FAA propellant limit disagree. The exempt value should be 125g minimum, and more properly aligned with the

1.4kg per segnemt of DOT 1.4C E-10996. This allows bates Nmotors and single grain J's.

That is what the "MODEL ROCKET" (reuseable "aero models", "toy propellant devices") should be.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm not 'finally decided' yet, but in looking at it, I ran some sims and there are several F/G combos that would appear to work with this one. I'll still keep others in mind, and all of the comments are very helpful.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Me? Wrong? Not likely :-)

Go check the NAR web page and look at the G33 web page.

Bob Kaplow

You forgot finding someone in your club who has storage and is willing to give you permission to use their magazine. In our club, there are only a few magazines; most of us either have vendors deliver on site what we're going to use that day, or we share storage.

You can also find a friend who has a permit and have them be the buyer of record; as long as they're within an arm's length during motor assembly, etc, and you're not disqualified from getting a permit due to a felony, etc, then that is acceptable to the ATF.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Yes, yes, I remembered that about 60 seconds after I posted it! Sorry!

Of course, the first time I launched a G33, neither myself mor my vendor nor any officer at the launch field knew it was high power...... (or if they did, they didn't prevent me from using it!)

Reply to
David