[F-FT] Warning - a glue thread

I have a Maxi-Alpha that broke one of the fin retaining tabs on the back
of a fin, leaving it loose enough that it will come off on the next
flight. No big deal, I'll just glue it down.
So, I put on a little bit of gap-filling CA in that area, but... The
next day, it's still icky and not hardened. Doesn't appear to have done
anything. Probably the glue was past its shelf life, or something.
So my next step is either to a) go out and buy a new bottle of CA and
try again, or b) clean off the remaining gunk and use some epoxy.
I have epoxy sitting on my desk, so it's tempting to go with plan b).
My concern is that if there's any CA left on there, will anything go
wrong if I put epoxy on it?
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
As I recall, the Maxi-Alpha has wood fins; use a knife to scrape it down to clean wood before applying the epoxy, so it has something to adhere to. It's not going to adhere to your goopy CA.
-Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski
snip
You need some CA accelerator. Sells for about $1.00 at Wal-Mart, located in the plastic models section next to the CA. Apply a drop of CA then use a drop of accelerator and it's instantly set, EVERY time.
Since I found the accelerator, I use it quite a bit, especially for hardening & flame proofing Estes tubes, fins, etc.
Randy
Reply to
<randyolb
adhere
apply baking powder ..it does the same thing as accelerator and makes a great gap filler as well..actually accelerator it great for static models but for ultimate strength in flying models...I personally avoid it.
Reply to
spiff
I appreciate the offer, but a little glue will fix it fine (and yes, it's the Max-Alpha III with the red plastic fins).
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White

Site Timeline

  • Hi, I don't wish to start a contentious thread but I have a quick straight...

    Model rockets