[F-FT] Warning - a glue thread

I have a Maxi-Alpha that broke one of the fin retaining tabs on the back of a fin, leaving it loose enough that it will come off on the next flight. No big deal, I'll just glue it down.

So, I put on a little bit of gap-filling CA in that area, but... The next day, it's still icky and not hardened. Doesn't appear to have done anything. Probably the glue was past its shelf life, or something.

So my next step is either to a) go out and buy a new bottle of CA and try again, or b) clean off the remaining gunk and use some epoxy.

I have epoxy sitting on my desk, so it's tempting to go with plan b). My concern is that if there's any CA left on there, will anything go wrong if I put epoxy on it?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

As I recall, the Maxi-Alpha has wood fins; use a knife to scrape it down to clean wood before applying the epoxy, so it has something to adhere to. It's not going to adhere to your goopy CA.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

snip

You need some CA accelerator. Sells for about $1.00 at Wal-Mart, located in the plastic models section next to the CA. Apply a drop of CA then use a drop of accelerator and it's instantly set, EVERY time.

Since I found the accelerator, I use it quite a bit, especially for hardening & flame proofing Estes tubes, fins, etc.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

adhere

apply baking powder ..it does the same thing as accelerator and makes a great gap filler as well..actually accelerator it great for static models but for ultimate strength in flying models...I personally avoid it.

Reply to
spiff

correction ..baking soda

Reply to
spiff

Do you mean the Maxi-Alpha III with the red plastic fins? I have some replacment fins if you could put it on somehow.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I appreciate the offer, but a little glue will fix it fine (and yes, it's the Max-Alpha III with the red plastic fins).

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Baking Soda.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

OK. I've got 'em if your change your mind.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

BAH! just replace the plastic with some nice 1/8" basswood.

or, use the wide clear packing tape.

Reply to
tater schuld