[FUN] NORAD

http://v-serv.com/-upload/norad.jpg

For anyone who cares, I served the 24th NORAD through Det 5 9th Wea. Sq and the S.A.G.E. unit from 1975-1977 and again from 1978-1982 with time out for a 1 year assignment to Tatalina AFS, in AK, part of the DEW line.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

God bless your service.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. Those Ruskies were never gonna slip a nuke in on us while any of us boys were on duty:)
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

and
for

Ok, I don't know what happened to the first reply but, as someone with many family members who have served in all branches of the military, I just wanted to say thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Reece, Thank you for keeping us safe those years. I recently retired from the USAF. I started as a CCT member was injured during an operation so they put me into Avionic Sensors (laser bombing pods that you saw so much the results of during the Gulf War) and then finally I retrained into Air Traffic Control. I am still doing that in Grand Island, NE so if you ever fly in here I will tell you where to go LOL. I did a stint at Galena AB AK, not as remote as yours but still freaking cold.

I need you to do that for me :)
IIRC, Galena had women? Yes?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Yes Galena had women and some were very nice looking but as I was recently married to an absolute Babe and can behave myself it didn't really matter.

I was engaged and we had no women at Tatalina except for some pretty fugly sourdoughs and toothless villagers that dropped in to the NCO club for a beer every month or so. Temptation was NEVER an issue. I did however, get married a month after DEROS. That was 28 years ago and we're still together. Got any photos of Galena?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
nitram578 wrote:

the
they put

results
FWIW, I worked on the first generation of the LGB's (Pave Knife) when I was in Thailand. It was just a damn shame we couldn't get good coordinates on Jane Fonda.
Bill Sullivan
"Natural laws have no pity." - Lazarus Long
Reece Talley wrote:

Sq and

out for

You probably told a lot of our pilots where to go. :-)
I was a Weapons Control tech for the F106 at 5th FIS (Minot AFB, ND) and at the Air Defense Weapons Center (Tyndall AFB, FL)
Bill Sullivan
"Natural laws have no pity." - Lazarus Long
Hey Bill, what years? Your name sounds familiar and it was a dang small world we served in. We frequently worked with Minot and Fargo was one of our OLs.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

As someone who didn't serve in "that world" it is interesting to see some of the code words, but more importantly the mental attitude that persists even today in the principals who were on the "real front lines".
Thank you gentlemen.
Jerry
Here are a few terms: ADC= Air Defense Command OL= Operation Location as in a remote site off of main station Scope Dope= a ground intercept radar operator Tally Ho= target acquired and locked on Remote= a one year tour of duty at an isolated site DEROS= Date Eligible for Return from Overseas Rotation= one tour of duty D.E.W.= Distant Early Warning AAC= Alaskan Air Command S.A.G.E. = Semi-Automated Ground Environment Golf Ball= Radome Top Camp= the place on the top of the mountain where the domes were Base Camp= the main supply and support base Bogie= unknown possibly hostile radar target paint= image on radar BUF= Big Ugly F&%$#@, slang for B52 FIGMO= This is what a short-timer says when asked to do anything, literally, F it, I got my orders 2 diget midget= a real short, short timer short timer= I with very little time left until DEROS tunneling= radar skip that allows targets out of range to be detected
If I can think of more I'll add them.
BTW, you guys all knew the BOMARC was a nuke right? Sort of a long range SAM with mach 3 capability.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Yes, public info.
Have you seen the footage of the one that blew up on the pas after a helium tank ruptured and cut one its fuel cell?
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

small
of our

I was in Minot for 1971 and 1972. I shipped over to Ubon Thailand in 73 to work on gunships and returned to the USA in 74 at Tyndall AFB, FL. I stayed there until I got promoted to civilian in 77.
If you are a fan of the F106, check out Pat's World.
http://www.f-106deltadart.com /
Bill Sullivan
"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." - Benjamin Franklin