(fwd) Where Do We Go From Here?

Two weeks ago I went to a talk by Gene Cernan, the "Last Man onthe Moon". One of the things he pointed out about the manned missions to the moon: If Apollo-11 had been an unmanned lander it would have crashed in a field of boulders.

Bob Kaplow

I travel through time every day!

Bob Kaplow

Unless you believed we have some but just dont understand them and besides our power production skills are rudimentary, else, all electricity would be free.

Jerry

We live with a chemical mindset. Shift.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I told you I surrender, Ray. You are about as bad as that guy who was trying to convince me that Savannah was in north Georgia (and, IMHO, just as wrong).

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I thought it was a geographical feature found in Africa.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

It goes beyond that, really. Physics shows that it's simply impossible for things to travel faster than C, period. It's not like the mythical "sound barrier", which was only ever considered an engineering barrier, and not a physical one. It's just that our universe is built on a foundation of physical laws, one of which is that as speed increases to "C", mass increases to infinity. This, and the time dilation which occurs as well, has been proven and supported by nearly a century of direct observation and supported by every experiment which man has come up with to test it against.

Reply to
BB

So how can one collect the energy from items of nearly infinite mass traveling at C, by slowing therm down with a HUGE number of flywheels?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Welcome to rmr.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I thought they proved that witches were made of wood... and that swallows brought coconuts to England. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

We know that a strong enough magnetic field can provide propulsion by interacting with local, natural fields. The only drawback is that an intense-enough magnetic field is rather detrimental to human health. :-(

There's research going on right now that makes laser-boosted lightsails sound likely. We'd need a BIG laser to launch a manned craft, but the concept is a sound one.

Reply to
Len Lekx

African or European vareity?

Reply to
Richard Hubbard

"BB" wrote in news:zcgjb.15628$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

I did fail to mention the rapidly rotating pattern of lights equatorially around the y-z axis. The red/blue shift was on the x axis with the brightness centered on the polar ends. My first thought was of a pull string gyroscope.

This was seen in a very sleepy little town called Clarksville in North- East Iowa in late 1994.

Yes, my sig does point in that direction doesn't it? Incorrectly I might add.

There was another witness who is schizophrenic and most defiantly not drug free. I was not under the influence, nor have I ever been under any influence of any hallucinogenic substance. This admittedly doesn't rule out mass or projected hallucination but I have seen little evidence that this could be a possibility.

Reply to
BrundlFly

I took the last train there... ;)

Reply to
Tim

Now that is speculative fiction, and probably not the way engineers would have designed the autopilot to land an unmanned LM.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Don't you start, Hilty. You know you take a left at the "fruited plain" to get to Savannah.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I bet you already have enough money to die trying. Can I watch?

Reply to
jsk

Being an old fart, I recall that in pre-calculator days taking square roots was also beyond the capabilities of most people.

Reply to
jsk

I resemble that remark.

[Several years ago I did my only haloween dress up for work of my adult life. Wore a white shirt with stain on the pocket, pocket protector crammed full of pens, leather slide rule case dangling from the belt, along with mag-lite, leatherman, and every other wearable thing I could find. Even had the rear pocket hanging out all day.

Just like every other day :-)]

Bob Kaplow

It took mankind 66 years to progress from a powered flight of just over a hundred feet, to one of 243,000 miles. While one might wonder what the next

66 erars woudl bring, we've already squandered just over half of that time, with very little to show for it.

Although in a way, it is interesting to see what major goals in "simple" aviation didn't happen until after we landed a man on the moon: human powered flight, non stop around the world flights by an airplane and a balloon among them.

Bob Kaplow

Clint Eastwood says there are only 2 kinds. "Them with guns and them that digs" from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Randy

Reply to
Randy