Going to Fresno October Sky Launch. What about the new BATF rule?

I am planning on going to the TCC (Tripoli of Central California) October Sky launch on the 13th. I have no LEUP. Just my NAR and Tripoli level 2 certs. Due to the new ATF rule will I be able to buy motors? How about flying the ones I already have? How about my experimental motors I made myself?

What a nightmare!!!! KT

Reply to
kimballt

you will be able to "purchase and use" onsite. transportation of motor grains > 62.5g would require that you have a LEUP. same applies for AR/EX/Research propellant grains > 62.5g don't you also need a class 3 Pyro Permit to do HPR/AR/EX/Research in CA?

HTH

terry dean

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Have you asked the launch coordinators or the vendors who will be there to support?

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Do you think the BATFE will be there? NAR and TRA have both stated that we the members are not allowed to do enforcement. ATF even agreed and said WE are not enforcement. Those holding the launch can ask if you have a LEUP but unless they show me a badge and an ID proving they are LAW ENFORCEMENT, I don't and won't answer that question. They may not let me fly as is their privilege but I do not have to prove I have a LEUP. Nothing in the Safety Code says I need a LEUP, just be a paid up member of TRA or NAR and hold a current level of certification for the size motor I am using. If you know somebody with an LEUP you could fly one of their motors in your rocket with their supervision. Personally I don't think the Black Helicopters will be descending on every TRA and NAR members home to check for illegal motors and I don't think they will be at every launch just to catch you. If they do I think if you don't raise a stink they will warn you and tell you to get the motors to someone with the proper permit. That is what they did with the amateur Pyro folks , that is what they did with QuickBurst. Now I will get down of my soap box and try to get some rockets ready to fly at our BOB launch.

Reply to
Bill Richardson

KT,

I feel for you. You could start flying hybrids and make them as large and as powerful as you like/ can afford.

It would be best if you didn't publically state that you have ANYTHING that might be against the law. Homeland Security agents DO patrol this newsgroup and have most likely already identified you and added your name, address, ect. to a database somewhere.

Use your motors in secret and then just fly the 'safe' stuff and watch the others fly the stuff that cost them hundreds/thousands of dollars in fees, storage, permits to fly. Really, why suffer, when you can sit back, and watch/enjoy the same rocket that the other guy had to suffer to fly?

That is what I do when ever I goto launches; I just spectate. When I wish to participate, I do it away from prying eyes. So far so good. I fly what I want, when I want, and where I want (away from people). Its a win-win deal :)

Lunar

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Reply to
lunarlos

So you are just betting that the mother ship will pick you up before the BATFE does.

Reply to
Alan Jones