Has anyone used this aerosleeves for fiberglassing the airframe?

about getting some of those chainmail gloves

Try kevlar gloves from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId 31066&ts389&idV956
Chris Eilbeck wrote:

If their phenolic formula hasn't changed, I think that is the worst choice. I have never seen a LOC kit have an ejection charge blow the side out of the airframe. I have however had that happen in an Endeavor.
Giant Leap is a good choice for kits...
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the

I've never seen this happen once in the last 6 years, in any material, and I for one use large ejection charges. 2g of BP in 300mm of 54mm tube for instance. I have one particular airframe I've done this at least 30 times in with no damage whatsoever. That's with shear pins too.

You think? If I were going to buy fibreglass tube, the last thing I'd buy is Giant Leap. It might be fine for a few flights but as soon as you ding the end of the tube, or put a hole through it to access your altimeter, cracks start to propagate along the laminations because it's spiral wound, not convolute wound. We did one flight on a fairly easy-going M motor (a M1400 skidmark), and had a pretty easy landing, and the tube was trashed. Just twisting it in difference directions at each end made it come apart in your hands. Absolutely awful stuff.
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /
Chris Eilbeck wrote:

That's quite a leap from discussing fiberglassing kraft cardboard tubes to buying fiberglass tubes. No one was talking fiberglass tubes.
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the

Sorry, I just associate Giant Leap with their tubing.
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /

PML Quantum tube holds up very well. Most - maybe all PoleCat Aerospace kits come with glassed airframes.
Phil
Philip Stein wrote:

I like the quantum tubes and they do hold up pretty good to general abuse.
I've only had 2 failures with quantum tube but under those circumstances I doubt if even carbon fiber could've survived. One was a G80 cato in my PML IO and the other happened last July when a H180 decided to eject right after burnout in my Calistro.
The zipper on the Calistro is most impressive; went all the way down to the MM and stripped the chute but the rocket still came down in one piece :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:
[snipped...]

I know we're getting way off the OP's topic, but I'm not a fan of QT. I've built one rocket out of it and that was enough. I found it to be affected too much by the ambient temperature and in the summer all the phenolic couplers are too loose, conversely, in winter they're all too tight!
'Orrible stuff...
Cheers,
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /
Bob wrote:

When you do away with the piston then QT is wonderful stuff :)
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
tdstr wrote:

Bob did say "coupler" not "piston". :-)
Be that as it may, I'm surprised PML doesn't supply QT couplers (and pistons). Dissimilar materials in a close-tolerance fit is a terrible idea.
Is the nose cone fit in QT also subject to temperature? (I have no experience with QT.)
--
Steve Humphrey
(replace "spambait" with "merlinus" to respond directly to me)
tdstr wrote:
[snipped...]

I never use pistons, I've never liked that idea. I won a PML Endeavour in a raffle earlier in the year. The OT and piston are getting chucked.
Cheers,
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /
Bob wrote:

Watch your language!
Chuck
Chuck Rudy wrote:

Eh...?
--
Bob wrote:

The OT and piston are getting CHUCKED
Chuck
;-)
Chuck Rudy wrote:
[snipped...]

Very tenuous...
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /

I love the stuff almost as much as fw fiberglass. Just to give the whiners a little something to talk about - I also like pistons - after I fit them correctly by sanding and I glass the inside of them.
Phil.
Philip Stein wrote:
[snipped...]

Each to their own Phil...
Cheers,
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /

Filament wound and convolute wound FG are two different things. One is shit, the other isn't. Which is cheap and easily available?
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:28:06 +0100, Chris Eilbeck

For me they are both relatively cheap and easy to get. I don't know what the story is where you are.
I'm not sure which one is shit. I own both, they have both been steppend on and have survived. I can't say that for tubes that don't have glass.
Phil
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

Why are they whiners?
--