Has anyone used this aerosleeves for fiberglassing the airframe?

before you fly it, it's gonna spack.
I view bright paint as just as important as a screamer for recovery, if you cant find the rocket...

... then your radio tracker is broken.
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /

No the spiral is supposed to be there. It's a design feature.
Phil
Ok Ok Ok................ I ended up going with the Giant Leap sock and aeropoxy resin and 3 oz cloth for the fins. I checked into the giant leap sock and the prices were not too bad and the choice seemed clear. Also, it had proven results on Roger's EZI65. It seems that the majority of people in this forum feel that glassing offers some protection, and I too do not enjoy repairing rockets. Once it's built, I want it to stay built so that I can move on to another project eventually. I'll experiment on my own a little and if anyone's interested I'll post some results and maybe some picts. If this is a dumb thing to do as some suggest, I guess I'll find out on my own. Roger if I may; what cloth did you finish with? Some sites suggest a fiberglass veil. How did you fill in the weave for finishing and what was the final weight of your rocket?
For anyone; what do you do to prep the rocket for finishing? I have seen that Kilz and Bin seem to be popular filler/primers.
Roger Smith wrote:

SuperFil lightweight epoxy filler is about the best there is. It's not very expensive and very good to work with too.
Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk /
Thanks Chris, I'll look into it. Chris Eilbeck wrote:

I used a single layer of 2oz. cloth on top of the sock. I used Kilz spray primer, applying several coats and sanding between each coat. I painted the rocket with color-changing paint which requires many coats. Then I finished with a layer of acrylic car wax. So there are many layers of paint on the rocket. I probably spent $100 just on primer and paint. It looked nice for a little while, but the wax didn't protect the paint as well as I had hoped.
With the fiberglassing and the other upgrades I made, the rocket weighs about 4.5 pounds. On an H120 and H165 motors, it flew about 600 feet. Next month I may try it on an I200 if it's a calm day. Rocksim says it should go about 2000 feet on the I200. I'm working on adding dual-deployment for it, but not sure if it'll be ready next month, so I'll hope for no wind. I don't like walking miles to recover my rockets. :-)
While building my EZI-65, I referred often to the Rocketry Online article at http://www.rocketryonline.com/tech/tech_ez_01.html . It's an excellent tutorial.
Photos and video of my Level 1 Certification flight using the EZI-65 are on my web site at:
http://www.payloadbay.com/article-level-1-certification-1.html
The onboard-camera footage in the video is faked (it's actually from an earlier Oracle flight), but I've atoned for my sins by actually flying a digital camcorder on my EZI-65 last Saturday. I'm very pleased with the results. See:
http://www.payloadbay.com/article-upscale-cineroc-takes-flight.html
Good luck with your project!
-- Roger
Thanks for the information Roger. I hope you'll keep posting with the success of the dual deployment.
Roger Smith wrote:

roger@ns_jadebox.com says...

Really enjoying all this discussion of the EZI-65. Quite my favorite rocket.
Coker's EZI is worthless and weak, though. I have what may well be the most overbuilt EZI in existence, with 3 wraps of 4 oz. glass, .125 G10 fins, etc. etc.. Big I motors are the mininum, and it rocks on a J415. Dozens of flights on that one, and never a repair (knock on wood).
As Frank would say, "I did it my way".
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

Especially upscale ones, eh?
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the

Indeed. Got downscale ones too, you know.
That design just flies so well. Arrow straight almost always, not too susceptible to weather cocking yet extremely stable, plenty of room for avionics and recovery laundry, and with it's fin design they are not likely to be damaged even under a less than nominal recovery.
--
Tweak

Using aerosleeve materials is very easy. No seams, no multiple wraps of cloth, no loose ends, just apply the sleeve(s) over the mandrel (or tube), wet it out, and that's it.
Kevin OClassen
Tweak wrote:

Amen, Brother! You preach it!
--
Rocketry Planet hobby rocketry news, feature articles, news archive,
discussion forums, live chat, free auctions, launch calendar and the
I can see how the force on the rocket could be greater than the thrust if you consider the momentum of the rocket. Halam Rose wrote:

True enough. Have you ever seen a rocket or sub munition penetrate reinforced concrete, e.g. runway busters?
For the most part, glassing is just a heavy method of finishing, but fiberglass, and other composite materials, can also be used to reduce airframe mass, by replacing more massive material.
Alan