Historic Air Show in town

I was burnin' a few burgers on the grill when I heard a distinct rumble
in the air I'd never heard before. As it cleared the trees a big,
beautiful 4 engine bird graced the skies. I called out the kids. As it
moved closer there was no doubt about it. A B-17 was putting out 4
throaty piston generated roars. What a sight. What a beautiful sight.
It was a short show, but I won't soon forget it. Thanks to whoever it
was who allowed history to visit our skies. You're welcome back anytime!
Chuck
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
If you want to see warbirds, you need to make it to the Oshkosh air show. A friend convinced me to go as a spur-of-the-moment deal this year, and all I can say is "Wow!"
Growing up an Air Force brat, I've been to lots of air shows, and thought I'd seen lots of military planes. Never before have I seen anywhere near that many in the air at one time. Made the warbirds demonstration at the local AFB air show rather anti-climactic this year.
-Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski
I went this year. I missed the wall of flame, but saw the jet-powered Waco, Patty Wagstaff, both B-17's, Neil Armstrong, a ton of warbirds, NASA's U2, went through the museum, and took a ride on a Bell 47 helicopter from the Pioneer airport.
Ed NAR #75824 L1 AMA #695644 EAA #730009
Reply to
Ed
Yep. Felt it, too.
Yep.
Yep.
Won't know that until the Wednesday before. That's when Rick asked this year.... 8-}
While there, I did pick up a nice pair of Snap-On snap-ring pliers for 54mm motors. 15% off, no shipping!
-Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski
I've seen OshKosh on the tube several times........I keep repeating to myself, one day, I'll make it there one day. Until then the local show will have to do....... all the money raised goes toward the local warbird museum so it has some benefit no matter how large or small it is. They have two fairly rare birds in th e museum.....one is one of two copies of the ill fated Sea Dart, the Navy's try at a jet powered sea plane, and a Messerschmidtt Me262.......but that's about all the rarity they have to ballyhoo.......it's raining a ton so I guess tomorrow's the day to go.
Chuck
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
> Chuck, > > > > I knew where you were going as soon as you stared the post... > > > > About 12 years ago, (1991) there was an air show here in B'ham at what > was at the time, the 117th Recon Wing of the ANG. It's now a KC 135 > Refueling wing. They had a B-17 (The 909) on display as part of the > show. There is nothing like the sound of those 4 engines when you > are.... IN it! > > > > Saturday was display day and they were going to have the air show and > fly it on Sunday. My father was career Air Force and serviced and flew > B17's during WWII and being that it was his favorite plane, he wanted > to see it. When he got there, he engaged the flight crew in a lively > conversation and after awhile they told him they were having a problem > with one of the landing gear and they might not be able to fly on > Sunday if they couldn't get it fixed. They also had no idea where to > turn for parts that quickly since they were based several hundred > miles away. > > > > My dad started in the Army Air Corp as a mechanic and knew every part > of that plane inside and out and he asked what the problem was. They > told him but were very pessimistic as to getting it fixed in time. It > just so happened that after he retired from the 117th in 1962, he > became one of the head engineers at Hayes Air Craft, which was just > across the runway. Hayes refurbishes any kind of military aircraft. He > took the flight chief over to Hayes to see a friend that still worked > there and they made arrangements to have the gear repaired. > > > > The only problem was that the man in charge of the plane had not had > this problem before and he didn't have their "book" on the correct > hydraulic pressure, so they couldn't get it to work on the ground. It > seems their specs set it too low. After a brief discussion, my dad > told them the exact pressure they need. He still remembered 4 decades > later. They were reluctant to listen to an "Old Guy" that last worked > on a B-17 in the mid 1950's. They finally decided what the heck, it's > not going to do any harm so they set it as he said. It worked fine and > they were a part of the air show as expected. > > > > The best part was that as a thank you, my dad, myself and one of my > sons who was only 13 at the time, got to fly IN the plane during the > show. The next day we flew with them from B'ham, made a loop over > Tuscaloosa and then on to Montgomery, where they were to be on display > for a few days. Channel 13 had a film crew out and did a short 3 > minute story for the news that day about WWII, the plane and the men > that flew it. > > > > We're loosing WWII vets at the rate of 200 per day. It won't be long > before they're all gone. My dad passed away 18 months ago, just short > of 80. The B-17 model we built together in 1991, right after that > flight, sits in my den with a picture of the 3 of us standing in front > of the 909 just before we boarded it. > > > > If you get a chance to see an air show with any of those planes still > flying, you should. It's great to see and hear them one more time. > There might even be an old WWII vet there. Every time I meet one, I > shake their hands and thank them for their service. Think about doing > that too, if you go. > > > > One of my favorite memories of my dad is standing at attention with > him and his grand kids, about 100 yards from the north end of the > runway, as the 117th Tactical Recon Wing (about 25, F-4 Phantoms) left > for Desert Storm. He was wearing his old full dress uniform, it still > fit 29 years later and he saluted them all as they took off, just > about 100' over our heads. It was the loudest, most emotionally > moving things, I've ever been a part of. > > > > Go to the air show! > > > > Randy > > > > JET NOISE
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
The Jet powered WACO (rhymes with taco) is a 1937 aco UPF-7 biplane with a Learjet engine slung under the fuselage. Impressive vertical performance for a 70 year old tube and fabric biplane!!

The wall of fire is the "grande finale" of the mondo pyro display that they put on in conjunction with the warbirds display.
JIM
jet waco (below the pic of jet semi by itself)
there was a pyrotechni crew there that does a wall of flame. imagine a flame wall 3 stories high about 1/4 mile long. was used to "simulate" bomb drops done by the overflying warbirds.
I missed it this year but here is one from last years.
and that was an early shot. was about twice as high at end
Reply to
tater schuld
Chuck Rudy>I believe that his generation is the third of our great generations.....the first won the Revolution, some lost everything >for a cause and died paupers..........the second fought and 600,000 died in our war of self destruction in the >1860's.........the third kept the world together at a time when it appeared an evil mob would rule Europe, his >generation made the difference.......his generation gave it all, many were lost, but the world was made safe again.
I totally agree with you.
: )
Have a great time and if you can, post what you see. The last one I attended had quite a few missle/rocket displays.
Randy
Reply to
Randy
Based on your .Mac pictures, I assume you're in or near Pennsylvania. Can it be that you don't know about WW II Days at the Mid-Atlantic Air museum at Reading airport?
Reply to
Scott Schuckert
The weather is looking ominous, but I'll be taking the video camera, both sons (12 and 24) are taking their still cameras ......it's not just about the beauty of the birds, there's something about the sound, it can be heard no where else.......I hope to drop some great pics on the website if the weather does it 's part........we're crossing our fingers!
Chuck
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
I used to (when the P2V was current) live on County Line Road in Hatboro, and know Willow Grove NAS intimately - now I'm in Quakertown.
No Blues, and relatively few "current" aircraft; but WWII Weekend is spectacular for historical aircraft. In addition to the aircraft you'll see armor, battle re-enactments (with air support) and Andrews Sisters look-alikes. Not just B-17's but formations of 'em. I know a guy who owns an AT-6, and was able to sit on the flight line while the bombers went past, with their wingtips passing over my head.
Hopefully everyone will forgive including an image; just an example of what you might see...
Go to the web site, and put June 4-6, 2004 on your calendar.
-- Scott Schuckert
Reply to
Scott Schuckert

>I used to (when the P2V was current) live on County Line Road in >Hatboro, and know Willow Grove NAS intimately - now I'm in Quakertown. > >No Blues, and relatively few "current" aircraft; but WWII Weekend is >spectacular for historical aircraft. In addition to the aircraft you'll >see armor, battle re-enactments (with air support) and Andrews Sisters >look-alikes. Not just B-17's but formations of 'em. I know a guy who >owns an AT-6, and was able to sit on the flight line while the bombers >went past, with their wingtips passing over my head. > >Hopefully everyone will forgive including an image; just an example of >what you might see... > >Go to the web site, and put June 4-6, 2004 on your calendar. > >
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
I missed the beginning of the thread - you're talking about Willow Grove? That PARTICULAR 262 is more than "usually unusual" - it's a two seater! If I recall correctly, there MAY be one other, in Germany.
It was also used as the template for the NEW ME-262's currently under production. See:
It was lent to the Stormbird project for analysis; in return they restored it rather nicely before returning it. When I was a kid, the plane was on outdoor display with a rather hideous paint job, and had a crude mockup of an early radar antenna on the nose.
-- Scott Schuckert
Reply to
Scott Schuckert
If you dig into the web page, you'll see there are two unsold airframes, and the price (without engines and avionics) is $2M. make sure it a BIG lottery...
Reply to
Scott Schuckert
>It was lent to the Stormbird project for analysis; in return they >restored it rather nicely before returning it. When I was a kid, the >plane was on outdoor display with a rather hideous paint job, and had a >crude mockup of an early radar antenna on the nose. > >
Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Site Timeline