Is this the future?

A two stage water rocket that hits 600' looks like fun. I just ordered one.

Reply to
Arnold Roquerre

:)

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

And a gateway drug too. Every single user of class A narcotics has taken dhmo at some point in their lives.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

What's more, it's lethally addictive itself. 100% of users attempting to go "cold turkey" _die_.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

And then there's the ones, who after a dry weekend, fall off the wagon and litterly drownded in the stuff.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Anhydrous. And add some RP-1.

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

pressurized liquid.

We're working on that part... a low temperature crystallization process is showing significant promise: we've demonstrated it on a laboratory scale (from commercially available 50% stock) and we have ideas on adapting this to a continuous process. (It's early times to say much more than this yet.)

It's nowhere near as safe for small-scale field use as APCP - we're a long way from HPR-like (in either size or operating simplicity) - but H2O2 _does_ ship as "oxidizer/corrosive" instead of "explosives"...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

pressurized liquid.

I didn't think you could get anhydrous H2O2 by fractional crystallization due to inevitable inclusions of lower density liquid. I made mine in Pyrex with a rotovap at about 40 C starting from semiconductor-grade 70%. Works great and fairly fast, but you can't get 100% separation efficiency so you always lose some peroxide. Assayed by density. Expensive process, but works well enough at lab scale. What happened to all of the equipment that Beal had?

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

Heck of a lot of water rockets with far more than 125 grams of propellant being launched out there without waivers! Waaaaaaaaay past non-enforcement!

"And in other news today the FAA, at the urging of BATF as part of their anti-rocketry campaign, levied fines on 83,452 science teachers for violations of FAR 101..." Yeah, right........

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

We've been able to get quite close enough for propulsion work (96%+) on a batch basis - a continuous process is presently in the works.

Yeah, you can certainly get a certain amount that way if you have access to semiconductor-grade material and are willing to evaporate a lot of it... as you note, you lose a bunch of the H2O2 by the time you get rid of all the water.

The limitation of an evaporation-only process, when starting with other than "semi-grade" H2O2, is that if your starting material contains any solutes (such as the tin and phosphorus salts often added as stabilizers), these will be concentrated in the remaining liquid. (This causes problems with catalyst contamination or "poisoning"... it was driving us crazy for a while, until we figured out what was happening: "No wonder the engine performance is so consistently inconsistent!") If you freeze an H2O2 solution that's over the eutectic concentration (just over 60%), the solid phase is H2O2 and the solutes stay in the liquid. (We do use evaporation to get our 50% "tech grade" feedstock up to 80% or so.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker