It was bound to happen; Sparky....... 6.0

Ahem, (with tongue very firmly in cheek)

Once again, through no fault of any other person (with certain exceptions) I, Michael T. Jerauld, aka Sparky5.0 have advanced to a new level of self-inflicted destruction

........ Level 6.0

Left handers should NOT, repeat NOT WELD RIGHT-HANDED

I *was* doing just fine repairing the last of the 27 launch pads (for NSL in 3 weeks) when there was a burning shoe smell, soon followed by a burning sock smell, followed by ...well, you get the drift.

I manage to only make 3 hops on my left foot before putting the live arc welding rod safely on ground, peeled back smoldering shoe tongue and sock and removed offending weldment dingleberry (now only RED hot) from rapidly blistering top of ankle. At least the launch pads are finished for NSL. The things I do for you people.......

For the unfamiliar, To recap:

1.0 Deburring 6" launch rods for Plaster Blaster 1 Mosquito launch. Flaming Belt/Disk sander as a result of a certain DART Advisor NOT removing propellant residue after sanding propellant grains.

2.0 2 weeks later, SAME DAMN THING

3.0 Driving UHaul truck back from Plaster Blaster 1. Heard "pop" sound from cargo bay. Opened cargo bay to find it full of smoke. Attempted to put out 12v marine battery (that was only a litttle on fire) by blowing it out. Stopped blowing it out when I noticed the fire extinguisher placed NEXT to the burning battery.

4.0 Lit face on fire (again, only a little) when fireplace match exploded and threw flaming bits at me.

5.0 Tested wrong side of launch panel and lit Brad's rocket off while he was still at the pad hooking it up. Fortunately, he heard the click from the ignitor and jumped well back before being injured. Needless to say, I don't touch launch panels when flyers are at the pad anymore.

To date, with the exception of levels 1.0 and 2.0, (not my own doing) I have not repeated the mistakes that led to the advancement of level designations. With every experience there is a component of mystery and discovery, with the potential for knowledge, wisdom, and in my case, things resulting in fire.

Just DON'T say that I haven't *earned* the nickname.

all the best,

Mike (Sparky6.0) Jerauld DART President, NAR Section # 317 NAR # 78750, L2

Reply to
Michael Jerauld

That's always exciting :)

Hey Tom R note the use of a smiley.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So, what are the plans for upgrading to 7.0 :-)

Bob Kaplow

He's gonna come over and cut a few Firestarter c-slots.

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ouch!

Hopefully the ankle isn't too severely burned and will heal properly.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Bob,

No immediate plans. Need to "break in" current level a while.

Kev, Foot healing fine, not much more than a pencil eraser sized blister. More damaging is the "Doh" factor.

The events that promulgate the level advancements must not be intentional or planned. THAT would be a sign of an emerging psychotic behavior pattern. I thinks the real answer is fairly obvious:

I should've just used the LEFT handed arc welder ;-)

MJ

Reply to
Michael Jerauld

exceptions)

Yikes!

raydunakin

Maybe just maybe this is why my Pappy always had a wash tub of water nearby while welding or using a cutting torch? MMMM foot dunk into trough of water? He was so smart when I think back it scares me.

Reply to
nitram578

You are hereby inducted as a lifetime distinguished member of the honorable fraternity of Pi Rho.

:-)

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Just make sure your not still holding the arc by the business end...

Reply to
Wayne Johnson

Ummmm?????? huh? Sanding?? Why??

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

"1.0 Deburring 6" launch rods for Plaster Blaster 1 Mosquito launch. Flaming Belt/Disk sander as a result of a certain DART Advisor NOT removing propellant residue after sanding propellant grains."

Using a belt sander to "sand" propellant grains??????

"Hello, McFly?"

joel

That is not as much "phun" as slotting grains with a table saw :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine