Ky's superbowl party

anyone going?

got at least 3 to maybe 5 of the mars club going

Reply to
tater schuld

I know a number of folks from Tripoli Minnesota will be there. Of course, most of us have to drive less than 30 minutes to get there.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Nope, going skiing instead. If you're willing to forego the superbowl, Superbowl Sunday is a GREAT time to go skiing. (assuming you prefer to ski rather than stand in lift lines).

Reply to
David

I'm going for the party. Is there some sort of sporting event on Sunday?

I went skiing last Saturday and the lines were minimal.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Ya, you guys out west have everything easy! It is my understanding that you actually have large areas with no trees in which to launch rockets, also! :-)

Reply to
David

I'm not out west at all. I live in Minnesota and went to a ski area near Duluth, MN. I'd probably kill myself if I went to a real ski resort out west.

Living in Minnesota has an advantage of being real close to Ky's party.

All the wide open spaces around hare are farm fields. We have to worry about trees and crops when launching rockets. A group of us drive all the way out to Black Rock every year to get to a nice launching area.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Question.

Wouldn't you rather attend such a party at a real launch site? Two, two, two activities in one.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nobody launches arund here in the winter. Too darn cold. We did a laucnh last year on a frozen lake. We froze to death and pretty much destroyed every rocket when they landed on the ice.

This time of year, I would rather drive 20 miles to a Superbowl party than

500 to 1000 miles to find a decent launch site. I save all my rocket trips for summer.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Ky expects people to fly into a frozen "wasteland". Perhaps people would be willing to fly into a toasty warm launch site.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree. Is there any Minnesota ice racing around there?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Heheh!

For those of us who aren't football fans, the Super Bowl is a great time to go to the desert -- not many tourists out that weekend.

Reply to
raydunakin

Frozen wasteland??? It hit damn near 50 here today. More than certain it'll hit 50 tomorrow. If you can believe this, I only had to shovel my driveway ONCE this winter.

Sadly I won't be making it to Ky's this year. Breaking in my new basement theater with a card game, stogies, tap brew, 85" DLP hidef projection, 600 watts 5.1 and just might break out the grill for some nice filet.

I think I'll survive :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Supposed to be sunny & about 60* in B'ham today, 65* tomorrow. The guys down at 572 in Dothan should be about 70* tomorrow. While we had some icing in north Ala. last weekend, we haven't seen a snow flake here in about 3 years. We send all of that to Green Bay. ; )

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

ah, would be nice.

on an aside, we do launch in winter, sucessfully. haven't done a lake launch this year and if this early thaw keeps up we won't.

I am hoping I can actually touch the rocket that went into space. I think he said it would be on display. plus, Ky looks like an interesting guy to check out, even if you wasn't a rocketeer.

Maybe in three years I'll bring Ky one of my rockets that went into space for him to touch :)

Reply to
tater schuld

Brian,

There are a bunch of nobodies in the twin cities who have a club called MASA. We're a NAR chapter and we fly monthly, all year around. See

-> schedule

We've had some nice flying days in January and February that were calm and sunny. We've also stopped launches because of the snow.

The last time I flew from a frozen lake, I didn't come close to freezing to death and I dammaged very few rockets -- no more than a July day flying on land.

Glen Overby

Reply to
Glen Overby

Nothing against MASA, but I prefer high power launches. According to your web site, none of your sites allow bigger than a small H motor.

It was quite windy last year when Tripoli MN did its frozen lake launch last year. It was so windy that the launch sawhorse started blowing across the lake at one point. There was no snow on the ice, so most of the rockets broke something when they hit the ice. The lone high power rocket broke a fin off and lost most of the canards.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

:) Sorry guys, that phrase was a bit extreme indeed.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

70 degrees in february?! Jerry Apologizing!?!?

Grab your rockets and your propellant, its the end of the world! :)

Reply to
tater schuld

We got a I sized field. check the website below. only 3 hour drive from the cities.

coudl stretch it to a J launch, depending on rocket. maybe even a K if it was a saucer

Reply to
tater schuld