Last Titan II

Nice photo of the last of the Titan II's launched the other day:

BB

Wow....that is quite the awesome picture! Some body needs to build a scale model of that and fly it on a redline motor or a red EX load....cool!

Jason

Reply to
Jason Toft

Here's some more - even awesomer!

BB

Hi all, The articles on the launch said that there was still one of the Titans left, bu that there weren't any plans to launch it.

Fly straight and true!

MikeyR

Reply to
BRMutti

The first thing my wife said when she saw it was 'Looks like they're flying it on a Redline.' It does, too.

Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

In fact, there are probably 30 more at Davis-Monthan, but maybe only one fully reconditioned and ready for flight. At the time of the Titan II deactivation, there were

52 missiles + spares in serviceable condition - I think something less than 15 were selected for use as satellite boosters - they got guidance upgrades, safety upgrades, and assorted what-not.
Reply to
Mark Johnson

"BB" wrote in news:09jlb.24734$Ee6.22761 @nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

Interesting; all the luminescence seems to be in the area where the two exhaust streams intersect. Any of you propulsion chemistry jocks got an explanation?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

gas flowfields have varying density. These "shock waves" are merely higher density portions of the flow and are also dependent on your point of view.

Jerry

Liquids designer, solids bigot.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

That doesn't explain the (red) luminescence, which is apparent in all the pictures (from different points of view), at the intersection of the two exhaust streams.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

The gas is denser there, and shows up as a more visible "glow" in a photograph?

(It's probably a more uniform-looking transparant red-orange in direct view, compared to a .jpg photo...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I bet the red fuming nitric acid oxidizer has something to do with this... Ed

Reply to
Ed Giugliano