Launch at Cape Coalwood

The annual October Sky Festival will be held on October 7, 2006 in Coalwood, West Virginia. Cape Coalwood, the location of the launch pad described in the memoir Rocket Boys, and shown in the movie October Sky, will be open for rocket launches. Please contact my assistant Alexandria Terry at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com for more information, or go to

and click on "Rocket Boys/October Sky" for more concerning the event, including how to get to Coalwood. I will be there as will Rocket Boys O'Dell, Billy, and Roy Lee. Many of the other real people in the book will also be attending. I look forward to seeing you in West Virginia.

The October Sky Festival is a charity event. 100% of the proceeds (mostly from sales of my autographed books on the day of the festival) go to support the youth activities of the town.

- - Homer Hickam

Reply to
Homer Hickam

Interesting found this post by chance = I realy enjoyed the book didn't realise you had written sequels - ill have to get busy on amazon.

Rgds Nuero

ps enjoyed the post script about the WP rockets in Veitnam being eroded

Reply to
maurice

Nuero - Actually, I thought the Russian rockets being fired at me were crudely designed. That's why I guess they missed! Erosion in our steel nozzles was a problem the Big Creek Missile Agency never completely solved although our last solution, lining them with a ceramic putty, came close. That's why our final rocket, Aux XXXI (launched by my father), climbed well over its predicted altitude. There are three sequels to Rocket Boys: The Coalwood Way, Sky of Stone, and We Are Not Afraid. Only The Coalwood Way features the boys of October Sky and goes into some detail on the nozzle erosion problems. Happy reading, in any case. The last rocket I built was in Montana. Check it out on homerhickam.com in an article titled "You Go, Girl!" under the "Books - Other Writing" section of the site. I've also started a blog. Hope to see some rocketeers in Coalwood. WVSOAR (wvsoar.org/) will be managing the day's activities on Oct. 7 at the Cape Coalwood launch site. You will find me signing books at the church. The other "boys" will be here and there, O'Dell mostly at the Cape, Roy Lee with the dancing girls on the Club House porch, Billy holding forth with the miners, and Quentin . . . well, I'm never quite sure where Quentin will be. He may be hiding out in Texas.

H3

Reply to
Homer Hickam