Celebrity Spokesperson

Okay folks, so who is the rocketry community's celebrity spokesperson? Do we have one.. or maybe a few? Everyone knows that the only way to sway public opinion is to have a famous person speak up for you. Have the "Powers-That-Be" (TRA & NAR BOD, etc.) tried approaching someone famous to help us out? Can you imagine how much smoother all this legislative crap would go for us if we had someone like Tom Hanks and/or Ron Howard speaking up for us? Or how about a true American hero like Allen Sheppard, Neal Armstrong, or Chuck Yeager? Can you imagine the public's response if someone like that were to tell the world about how the BATFE is trampling our constitutional rights and stifling the growth of America's future rocket scientists? Normally the general public wouldn't give a damn about a bunch of rocket geeks, but if a celebrity tells them they should care, and even do something about it, then we would see some action. It's at least worth a try, isn't it?

Regards, Mick Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

How about Homer Hickam? I bet he would be willing to, and he has quite a bit of recognition from the film "October Sky".

Reply to
Michael D. Davidson

Reply to
Richard Hubbard

I don't know if Homer would be willing or not. Right now, according to his web site -

- he's promoting his new novel which has nothing to do with rockets. It's a good book, though. I really enjoyed reading it. Homer started his writing career with a book titled Torpedo Junction, a history of the U-boat war off the American east coast during World War II. Rocket Boys was his second book. If I read his newsletter right, I think Homer is trying to carve out a career as a serious writer and has put rockets in his past except to support the annual October Sky Festival in Coalwood and occasionally speak out on the space program. I heard him speak this year in Montgomery and he said that he was glad his memoir Rocket Boys is being studied in over 400 schools across the country but he didn't much care for the movie Hollywood made about it. He has, by the way, a hilarious article about launching rocket Barbie Dolls referenced on his web site under Other Writing.

Reply to
Lone Eagle

We have several; right off the top, two old buddies Jerry and Bruce come to mind.(;-)

Fred

Michael Newt>

Reply to
WallaceF

You'd have a hard time getting Alan Shephard, he's been dead for about

5 years. I think the other fellows you have mentioned are either too retired or too private to get involved and I don't blame them. Homer Hickam is a good start as someone else mentioned, but as soon as the public realises that mod rocs aren't in danger then they are no longer interested in our cause. Perhaps we need some kind of televised "Rocketry Olympics" like the X-Games.

Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Got his phone number? Give him a call. The worst he can do is say no.

Ideally I'd like to see Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, and Bill Paxton who played (respectively) astronauts Jim Lovell, Jack Swagert, and Fred Haise in the great movie "Apollo 13". Better yet, have the real astronauts along with the actors who portrayed them. Throw in Ron Howard too because he's such a great actor and director and virtually everybody loves Opie.

Or, how about the actors and the people they portrayed in the movie "The Right Stuff." Sam Shepard and Chuck Yeager, Ed Harris and John Glenn, Dennis Quaid and Gordo Cooper.

For our purposes it really doesn't matter who it is, as long as the person is a celebrity. The bigger their stardom (name recognition) the better. It's a fact of life that people listen and respond to "stars" and their opinions. I myself am a star, but only to my kids.

What about that "three degrees from Kevin Bacon" thing? Surely some rocketeer out there knows somebody who knows Kevin. Ask them to ask him for a favor.

Like I said, it's worth a try.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Anybody but Shatner!

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Alan. Shepard. Neil.

Lots of luck getting Alan to speak on our behalf. He died a few years ago...

We certainly have a Shuttle astronaut among us. In fact many of the current astronaut crop flew model rockets as kids. And a couple folks from Star Trek production. Homer Hickam never did MODEL rockets, but has certainly supported events like TAC.

Bob Kaplow

I also think we should get Homer Hickman, and let him use his $100 K to = make the commercials for us....I';m sure he can afford it after his = successful books and movie.....

shockie B)

spokesperson?

something

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Uh, getting Jack Sweigert would be a little difficult as he died from cancer.

Reply to
Ed

the_rocket snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (The Rocket Scientist) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Tim Allen, Tony Shalhoub, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

A-men!

If you want a good list of famous people who would probably support us, just look at the mast head on the inside of the NSS magazine. A very impressive and well rounded list of very respectable people, all space advocates.

Bob Kaplow

Yes, any of them would make a good spokesman? Or, no, none of them (either)?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Don't forget "Crewman #6", Sam Rockwell!

"I'm just the guy who gets killed in the first segment to show the situation is serious! I gotta get outta here!"

Reply to
RayDunakin

Richard,

Well, now I feel like a bit of an idiot. But that's a regular occurrence for me.

I am very sorry to hear that Mr. Shepard passed away. He was my personal hero. He always will be I should say.

Anyway, time marches on. Maybe we should get one or more of the others before it's too late, eh? Better hurry up too. I'm not a hell of a lot younger than he was and I'd like to launch a couple big rockets before I go.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Fred,

Although I have enjoyed watching Jerry's cartoons from time to time, I think somebody "bigger" would be better. Bruce isn't a bad idea though. I loved him in "Armageddon." How about Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, and Liv Tyler? I volunteer to hit on.. uhh.. hit up Liv Tyler!

Regards, Mick Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Ed,

There you go pointing out my lack of attention to detail. I knew I'd mess up the post somehow, but I wanted to get the idea out there anyway.

I'm very sorry to hear that Mr. Sweigart passed away. Another hero gone.

However, the idea I put forth is still a good one, I think. Please tell me that Tom Hanks hasn't left for the big movie set in sky.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

That's the second time I have seen dead people in this thread alone.

I see dead people alot.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Michael,

Hey, I think you spelled "Shatner" correctly. You're a much better speller than I am. You've probably posted here before I guess.

Anyway, I'd be damn glad to have him on our side. We'd just have to keep him away from the alien women.

Regards, Mick Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton