Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

Famous Model Railroaders: (alphabetized by last name)
Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy")
Roseanne Barr (actor) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Donald Duck (in the cartoon short "Not To Scale" - fictional character) Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Gring (head of German Luftwaffe) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) - Appeared on "Family Ties" episodes David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Captain Kangaroo (kids' show host) Buster Keaton (comedian) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Groucho Marx (actor, game show host) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Frank Sinatra (singer) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel)
Add: The Rev Wilbert Awdry (author, Thomas the Tank Engine. Several layouts featured in Railway Modeller) Regis Cordic (radio/actor) Bob Costas (sports journalist) John Entwistle (musician) Rick Green (comedian/actor) Ollie Johnston (Disney animator) Ward Kimball (Disney animator) John Lasseter (Pixar animator/director) Ricardo Patrese (F1 driver) Joe Regalbuto (actor, layout in the March 93 Model Railroader) Fred Rogers (Mister Rogers) Gerhard Schrder (former German Chancellor) Pete Waterman (songwriter/producer) Frank Zeidler (politician, also a friend of Al Kalmbach and Bill Walthers)
BTW, didn't Johnny Cash do some TV ads for Lionel?
Cheers David

Yes, mid 70s. Lionel produced a Johnny Cash boxcar.
--
Graeme, Scotland

Yes: www.rockabillyhall.com/JohnnyCash.html
"Johnny Cash hosted "Saturday Night Live", performed with the Boston Pops Orchestra, performed on "Solid Gold" where he was given a standing ovation - the only artist so honored in the history of the program, fished with Mick Jagger and entertained U.S. presidents. Products ranging from Lionel trains, Hohner harmonicas and Bulova watches to Sears and Standard Oil have been endorsed by Johnny."
And: http://tinyurl.com/3x6qeo
"Lionel 0/027 1976 featuring an ad on the back cover for the Johnny Cash TV special "Ridin' The Rails""
Also: http://johnnycash.com/store/memorabilia.htm (1/2 way down)
"Vintage 1976 Lionel Trains Johnny Cash Box Car"
says...

Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others)
Famous Model Railroaders: (alphabetized by last name)
Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Roseanne Barr (actor) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Donald Duck (in the cartoon short "Not To Scale" - fictional character) Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Gring (head of German Luftwaffe) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) - Appeared on "Family Ties" episodes David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Captain Kangaroo (kids' show host) Buster Keaton (comedian) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others) Groucho Marx (actor, game show host) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Frank Sinatra (singer) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel)
Big Rich Soprano wrote:

Still missing Michael Gross and Sam Posey.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

I've heard it said that he's done other things, too.

What's your sorce of this (and all the others, for that matter)?
Milton Cronkhite, yes. Walther Cronkite ... i thought sailing was his passion????
"Minton Cronkhite, Model Railroader" http://www.midnightrailroader.com/museum2.htm

Uh, it's possible -and even likely- for an individual to have more than one "passion".
Walter Cronkite, for instance, used to race sports cars back in the 1950s, but that didn't keep him from also enjoying sailing, his pipe, his wife, his kids, his job, and, yes, model railroading.
Pete

Riiiigggght.... and putting them on this list automatically makes them a model railroader... Can anyone show any evidence that Walter Cronkite is a model railroader?
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 03:06:15 -0500, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Is there any evidence that YOU are?
FYI, during a Barbara Walters interview, Cronkite was sitting in front of his trains. But then, he wasn't actually running them. -- Ray

Thank you, Ray.

What do you need: a voucher from my club, photos of my models... what?
Mark Mathu wrote:

Who is Walter Cronkite?
Greg.P.

From a Goggle search: the first paragraph of his biography
Walter Cronkite is the former CBS Evening News anchorman, whose commentary defined issues and events in America for almost two decades. Cronkite, whom a major poll once named the "most trusted figure" in American public life, often saw every nuance in his nightly newscasts scrutinized by politicians, intellectuals, and fellow journalists for clues to the thinking of mainstream America. In contrast, Cronkite viewed himself as a working journalist, epitomized by his title of "managing editor," of the CBS Evening News. His credo, adopted from his days as a wire service reporter, was to get the story, "fast, accurate, and unbiased"; his trademark exit line was, "And that's the way it is."
--

Frank Rosenbaum
Please support the following train meets if you can
"Frank A. Rosenbaum" wrote:

Hi Frank, that's one more paragraph than I wanted to know at this point in my life. In fact it was really a rhetorical question in that the answer is of no interest or value to me. I could have asked the question "Who is Walter Kronkite in relation to the World outside US television?" The correct answer would be "Absolutely no-one!"
That's not knocking Walter Kronkite, or US TV, or even the US, it's reality. Philip Sherry is New Zealand TV's equivalent of Walter Kronkite, a fact you will gain very little from knowing. I'm sure Mark can tell you Australia's equivalent - I can't.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:33:43 +1300, Greg Procter wrote:

Hey, I know, Paul Hogan!!
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote: