Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing



Ta.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

At least spell my name correctly when you insult me!
Greg.Procter.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
now tell us how you came to the conclusion that I think people dedicate themselves to one hobby and one hobby only for their entire lifetimes?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Mathu wrote:

And who decided that some of these people are "famous"? I'll lay odds that half of them are unknown outside the US.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Uh, if one must be known in every corner of every small backwards nation; there's nobody on Earth who qualifies.
Which pretty much explains why Aussie "stars" invariably head for the US and the big bucks just as soon as they're able: they're searching for anonymity.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
P. Roehling wrote:
> >> And who decided that some of these people are "famous"? I'll lay >> odds that half of them are unknown outside the US. > > Uh, if one must be known in every corner of every small backwards > nation;
Many of those on the list are *only* known in corners of a backwards nation - yours.
> there's nobody on Earth who qualifies.
US sportsmen and newsreaders don't, no matter how much you'd like to delude yourself that the rest of the world knows anything about baseball or daytime television. Or that they give a fuck either way...
> Which pretty much explains why Aussie "stars" invariably head for the > US
"Australian stars" is an oxymoron. Most of those that we claim as our own are nothing of the sort. An assortment of Poms, Septics and Kiwis who washed up here.
> the big bucks just as soon as they're able: they're searching for > anonymity.
They're searching for a place that will reward their mediocrity and non-existant talent, so naturally they head for Hollywood.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
P. Roehling wrote:

Tim Allen Tom Brokow Gary Coleman Richard Crenna Walter Cronkite Joe DiMaggio Erik Estrada Arthur Godfrey Michael Gross Bob Keesham Jay Leno Al Lowe John Patterson Sam Posey Sally Jesse Raphael Rick Schroder
You seriously claim that any of these people are "famous" outside the US?
You're dreaming.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
marknewton wrote:

I confess I have heard of two of them, although the other 14 are totally unfamiliar.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And you're an idiot.
Nobody appointed you to define what "fame" is in the first place, (that's what dictionaries are for) and if it's not apparent to you that fame is relative -in the very real sense that there are degrees of fame including locally famous, nationally famous, and internationally famous- then you don't have any idea of what you're speaking of to begin with.
For instance, Webster's Unabridged says: "Fame: the state of being well-known or much talked about."
Nope. Not one word saying that somebody Mark hasn't heard of can't be "famous" anyway.
Sorry.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
P. Roehling wrote:

So why are you arguing with me? What does that make you?
Never mind, I think I know the answer already.

Strawman argument. I didn't define fame, or seek appointment to the job. I questioned the assertion that the persons listed are in any way famous outside the US. They're not, and no amount of fancy semantic footwork will change that fact.
> if it's not apparent to you that fame is relative -in the very real > sense that there are degrees of fame including locally famous, > nationally famous, and internationally famous- then you don't have > any idea of what you're speaking of to begin with.
Of course fame is relative. All the the persons listed are relatively unknown outside the boundaries of the US. But the list as presented here has no such qualification - it makes the bald assertion that all of these people are *famous* railway modellers. Pig's arse they are.

Neither of which applies to the persons listed - so by your definition they're not famous - thanks very much.
FWIW I think listing so-called famous modellers is a sure sign of insecurity. So what if some B-grade actor or singer has a layout? Does that make the average modeller more comfortable about participating in the hobby, because it had the imprimatur of some mediocre entertainers?

Go the strawman. As I noted earlier, you're strong on semantics and tricky wordplay, piss poor when it comes to facts or real knowledge.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
marknewton wrote:

You seem to be the only one who raised that issue. Why?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Why not?
Look at the title of the thread - "Famous Railroaders List".
Then look at the people who were originally listed. Most of them are no more than minor "celebrities" within the US. By no stretch of the imagination are most of the people on the original list famous. All the semantic bullshit in the world won't change that.
Then of course there is the question of proof - how many of these people are in fact model railroaders???
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
marknewton wrote:

You're a Humpty Dumpty.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No, we're just looking for accuracy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark Mathu wrote:

Accuracy??????
Just what was inaccurate in the subject line of this thread?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

The claim that the persons on the list are all famous is inaccurate.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
marknewton wrote:

Only according to your definition of "famous."
Suck it up.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

You're dreaming again - I offered *no* definition of famous whatsoever.

I love it when you talk dirty...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I am wondering if all of the people listed are model railroaders.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: >> >> Look at the title of the thread - "Famous Railroaders List". >> >> Then look at the people who were originally listed. Most of them >> are no more than minor "celebrities" within the US. By no stretch >> of the imagination are most of the people on the original list >> famous. All the semantic bullshit in the world won't change that. >> >> Then of course there is the question of proof - how many of these >> people are in fact model railroaders??? >> > You're a Humpty Dumpty.
Yeah, and you've lost the plot - as well as the ability to argue your case convincingly.
Tata!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.