Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

Yes. Here's a list of people not very well known outside their home countries who are indeed modellers.

Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of The Railway Series books i.e. Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV producer/writer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Byb Symes (British television presenter/producer) Gerhard Tötschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Daniël Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden)

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Yes. Here's a list of people not very well known outside their home countries who are indeed modellers.

Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of The Railway Series books i.e. Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV presenter/producer/writer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Bob Symes (British TV presenter/producer) Gerhard Tötschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Daniël Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden)

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

In message , Big Rich Soprano writes

For which thank you - it is an interesting list, and has certainly provoked discussion on a newsgroup that some thought was dying :-)

Reply to
Graeme

In message , David Bromage writes

Absolutely. They are certainly worthy of mention, but I'm less convinced by cartoon characters, or, say, Uncle Fester, unless the actor himself is a toy train/model railway fan.

Reply to
Graeme

Above are the Australian or British TV personalities. As an American I believe I've heard of 4 of them before.

Why did you mention this bunch who are NOT from Australia or Britain? Kurt rings a bell. His name has probably been mention in some news article I've read?

Mark will, of course, want proof of your claims! *8^)

Paul

-- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.

Working the rockie road of the G&PX

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

A Australian journalist who is "accurate and unbiased"? I'm not sure there is one...

Reply to
marknewton

The late Andrew Olle?

Cheers David

Reply to
David Bromage

Not so. My comments were more about the supposed fame of some people on the list.

The only individual on David's list I can comment about is Jimmy Barnes. He used to front a very big Australian band, and has mentioned his hobby in interviews. I met Barnesy and his family on a charter train I was working, and had a great time talking shop with him. I invited him up the front for a bash on the footplate, and he spent about an hour on the engine, grinning like a big kid!

Reply to
marknewton

You're welcome but i was just trying to stay out of the way of the arguments hehehe... I was submitted more international names and i'm in process of adding them...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Does it really freakin matter? He claims these people are "one of us" so on the list they go...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Famous Model Railroaders: (alphabetized by last name)

Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Roseanne Barr (actor) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Göring (head of German Luftwaffe) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Michael Gross (actor) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Buster Keaton (comedian) Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo kids' show host) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others) Groucho Marx (actor, game show host) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV producer/writer) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) Sam Posey (race car driver) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Philip Sherry (New Zealand TV's equivalent of Walter Kronkite) Frank Sinatra (singer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Byb Symes (British television presenter/producer) Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Gerhard Tötschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Daniël Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

In message , Big Rich Soprano writes

Your goal in life should be to start a thread which is on topic, but does not provoke any arguments ...

:-)

Reply to
Graeme

What IS a model railroader ?

Ken

Reply to
ken day

Wow - well said! Fruitless so far but well said...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

It's a person working on the railroad that follows all the rules, washes his or her hands and flosses after every meal and loves his Momma! Oh wait - that's a model citizen...

Ok how bout this?

A really tiny person on a finite world with dead shrubs as trees and weeds as sage brush with plastic water who is bitching and moaning about the management and his "pre-fab housing" and not putting any interiors in the buildings or poorly lit streets all in the name of ambiance and how things look great from one side but you get behind that world and it looks like some 2nd grader glued toothpicks together!..

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Is he a model railroader??

____ Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

You really want to bring this list to life?

Just post a message with "RR Custom Paint" in the subject line... no, on second thought we are FAR BETTER wthout that subject coming up again!!!

____ Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Model railroading is great."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Also, the creator of TMCC and TMCC II Legacy

Reply to
Carl Heinz

No, that should be "Model Railroading is Fun", you idiot!! :)

Dale

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Hermann Göring....

BTW, I suppose you can add the popular 1940's-50's American bandleader Vaughn Monroe to the list, as Model Railroader did an article on him as a famous model railroader back then.

Reply to
Dale Carlson