Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

Well, as far as Walter Cronkite in relation to the outside world goes, I assume you've heard of the Vietnam War. Cronkite rarely, if ever, made his personal opinions known, but around 1968-9 he decided to do an editorial on his broadcast stating his opinion that the war was unwinnable, and that the U.S. should withdraw. As "the most trusted man in America", this swung mainstrean opinion against the war more effectively than perhaps all the previous anti-war protests put together.

So, in response to "Who is Walter Kronkite (sic) in relation to the World outside US television?", I'd say he was a pretty significant person, whether you know his name or not.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson

All I can do is add the classic reply: "YOUR an idiot."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Never heard of the PD&ROF RR?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Was that Captain Kangaroo's layout?

____ Mark

(actually: no, I never heard of the PD&ROF RR)

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Piss Drunk and Reeking Of Fosters

Reply to
Steve Caple

PS - yeah, sorry, i realize that using piss and Fosters in the same ten words is definitely redundant

Reply to
Steve Caple

There have been a lot of "significant" people in the world who were not famous.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Shouldn't that be ... Ohh! never mind.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I googled him and model railroading and found nothing...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Agreed.

No flame war intended, but wouldn't you agree that "significant" people in the world might merit a higher status than your dismissal of those who may be famous in only one particular (albeit large) country as being "Absolutely no-one!"?

Sorry, but I found that to be a bit offensive.

Dale

I doubt anybody's heard of Ernest Rutherford either... :)

Reply to
Dale Carlson

I've tried to work through your comparitive question and I certainly agree with what I think you intended to say :-)

Sure - I, like many other non-US people, find the expectation that we should find/acknowledge totally unknown (to us) individuals as being famous a bit offensive.

Err well, I lived just down the road from where he grew up until a year ago (me, not him if you see what I mean) so I guess I'm biased on that one. Also Richard Pearse, the first person to fly a powered aircraft and Hamilton, the inventor of the jet-boat.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Meow, meow.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You seem to be the only one who raised that issue. Why?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

What's interesting is that "famous people" do in fact indulge in model railroading, and that many of them not only are unashamed but even proud of it. After all, Rod Stewart said that appearing on the cover of MR meant more to him than appearing on the cover of a music rag.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I guess they've all been trained by you....

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

ROTFL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

And a lot of famous people who are insignificant.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

You've been talking to Paris Hilton again! ;-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Couldn't have. If he did he would have said a lot of people are hot!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

LOL! That's good, coming from our resident one-eyed Canadian leftie...

But there's the rub, old mate - I'm *not* a journo, and make *no claim whatsoever* to being unbiased or objective.

Reply to
marknewton