Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

marknewton wrote:

What case? Oh, I see, you need it spelled out in some detail. Ok, I'll try to be polite.
As I recall, somebody objected that the people on the original list weren't famous because they weren't well known outside the USA. So what? "Famous" does not mean "known outside the USA", it does not mean "known in Australia", it does not mean "known everywhere on Earth", etc. It just means "talked about, well known". No specification of location, place, locale, nation, planet, etc. That's my case.
You wanna use words to mean what you want 'em to mean, that's your privilege. Just don't get all shirty when others don't agree with you.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

So, they're not famous if the only people who've heard of them are dim-witted American TV viewers. That's what.

Which is exactly my point. A great many of those on the list are *NOT* "talked about, well known". So by your definition they're not famous.

I absolutely agree with the meaning of "famous" as defined. I'm shitty that unknown non-entities are presented as famous.
I take it you don't have any response to my opinion about MRRs being insecure?
marknewton wrote:

Sure they're talked about,. just not by you and the people you know. So what?
SWuck it up.

marknewton wrote:

As opposed to dim-witted Ozzie TV viewers, I guess. Well, "fame/famous" is an ascriptive adjective, not a descriptive one. It should be obvious, really: if "fame/famous" means "talked about", then it can only refer to people talked about in some community of talkers. That other communities of talkers talk about other people doesn't change that. So whenever someone is characterised as "famous", that just means that there's a bunch of people somewhere among whom (s)he is well known and talked about. So you're not part of that bunch. So what?
We are each of us outsiders to almost all social circles that exist on this planet. Actually, the social circles in which we participate constitute such a small fraction of the total that in engineering terms it's "vanishingly small", and therefore irrelevant. If you'd think a little beyond your immediate experience, you might realise that one of the functions of celebrity is to enable outsiders to feel like insiders. There are many people who don't have much of a social life, or worse, don't value the social life they do have. If you do not belong in that vast category, count yourself blessed. Don't piss on their parade.

So they're not talked about by you and your friends. So what?

I wrote "shirty." NB the spelling.

Well, some are, but again, so what? Are you secure about every aspect of yourself, your personality, your life, etc?
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Same thing, different country.

??? What utter bullshit.

What would you prefer I do, feel sorry for the poor stupid bastards?

I know what you wrote - very coy.

Yes.
marknewton wrote:

Yes. of course. And your apparent need to consider yourself superior to these poor stupid bastards indicates an appallling lack of common humanity.

No, you don't know what I wrote. "Shirty" is slang, as it happens. I'll leave it for you to figure out what part of the English speaking world, and what era it belongs to.

That no doubt accounts for your contempt for all those poor bastards who are normal human beings, then.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: >> >>> There are many people who don't have much of a social life, or >>> worse, don't value the social life they do have. If you do not >>> belong in that vast category, count yourself blessed. Don't piss >>> on their parade. >> >> What would you prefer I do, feel sorry for the poor stupid >> bastards? > > Yes. of course. And your apparent need to consider yourself superior > to these poor stupid bastards indicates an appallling lack of common > humanity.
You're another hyper-ventilating drama queen. I don't agree with your soft left opinions about people who won't live in their own lives, living vicariously through others instead, so I have an "appalling lack of common humanity"? Whatever you reckon. If living my own life and enjoying it makes me superior to the soap and celebrity addicts, so be it.
Mate, when I want lessons in the etymology of Strine, I'll ask someone more authoritative than a Canadien with a German name.
You, OTOH, reserve your contempt for those who doesn't share your bleeding-heart social worker views...
marknewton wrote:

It doesn't make you superior, just different. And your estimation of yourself as superior is evidence that you're not.
As for my "soft lefty opoinions" -- you don't know nuthin' about my politics. You just don't like my calling your bluff on your arrogance, so you call me the worst name you can think of. Aw, gee, gosh, I'm underwhelmed.

The slang term is not 'Strine.
So you think a Canuck with an Austrian name can't know about about the history of English? Aw, gee, Marky, I apologise for having studied the subject at University. Obviously my instructors and the books I read were all wrong, since they hadn't passed the Mark Newton Test of Truth and Accuracy.

Any view held by a bleedin' heart social worker must be wrong, eh? Classing my views among them is a most convincing demonstration of the errors of my ways. Much better than logic or reason.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

And you're the ultimate arbiter of these matters, are ya Wolf?

I can make an educated guess, based on your posts over the years.

You think *that's* the worst name I can think to call you? You got very little imagination, in that case.

My fucken'oath it is!

As you've demonstrated above, no. Any more than I would presume to know, as a foreigner, about Canadian slang...

In your case, yes.
Tata.

But if one dim-witted Austrailian knows about them they are not only famous but, are accepted as model railroaders without any proof or justification. Interesting set of criteria.
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:27:41 -0600, Paul Newhouse wrote:

Could be worse - we've got a dimwitted Austrian as our governator. Or rather gropinator.
--
Steve

Paul Newhouse wrote:

You're utterly wrong, it's not my criteria. The points I was making were that I *didn't* regard most of the people on the list as famous, and that there had been *no* evidence offered to confirm they were modellers. I don't accept any of them as modellers, which is why I asked for some proof.
On 11/10/2007 8:16 PM marknewton spake thus:

Mein Gott: this thread is just a couple of steps away from turning into ... a Wikipedia article.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Has it wandered that far from reality?
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

So clearly Mark Newton is famous.
Eddie Oliver wrote:

Good one!
ROTFL
marknewton wrote:

I'm in Australia and only the journalists/radio people are the names I don't know. We do get the occasional American movie and TV show out here (BTW, that was sarcasm).
There's a lot of Australian (and British) TV personalities I could have mentioned that would be unknown elsewhere.
Cheers David

Are any of them model railroaders??
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
Paul Newhouse wrote:

Yes. Here's a list of people not very well known outside their home countries who are indeed modellers.
Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of The Railway Series books i.e. Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV producer/writer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Byb Symes (British television presenter/producer) Gerhard Ttschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Danil Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden)
Cheers David
David Bromage wrote:

What's interesting is that "famous people" do in fact indulge in model railroading, and that many of them not only are unashamed but even proud of it. After all, Rod Stewart said that appearing on the cover of MR meant more to him than appearing on the cover of a music rag.