Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

"Model railroading is great."

You really want to bring this list to life?
Just post a message with "RR Custom Paint" in the subject line... no, on second thought we are FAR BETTER wthout that subject coming up again!!!
____ Mark
Famous Model Railroaders: (alphabetized by last name)
Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Roseanne Barr (actor) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Gring (head of German Luftwaffe) Michael Gross (actor) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Buster Keaton (comedian) Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo kids' show host) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others) Groucho Marx (actor, game show host) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) Sam Posey (race car driver) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Frank Sinatra (singer) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel)

No, that should be "Model Railroading is Fun", you idiot!! :)
Dale
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Hermann Gring....
BTW, I suppose you can add the popular 1940's-50's American bandleader Vaughn Monroe to the list, as Model Railroader did an article on him as a famous model railroader back then.

All I can do is add the classic reply: "YOUR an idiot."
Mark Mathu wrote:

Shouldn't that be ... Ohh! never mind.
Greg.P.

Well, as far as Walter Cronkite in relation to the outside world goes, I assume you've heard of the Vietnam War. Cronkite rarely, if ever, made his personal opinions known, but around 1968-9 he decided to do an editorial on his broadcast stating his opinion that the war was unwinnable, and that the U.S. should withdraw. As "the most trusted man in America", this swung mainstrean opinion against the war more effectively than perhaps all the previous anti-war protests put together.
So, in response to "Who is Walter Kronkite (sic) in relation to the World outside US television?", I'd say he was a pretty significant person, whether you know his name or not.
Dale
Dale Carlson wrote:

There have been a lot of "significant" people in the world who were not famous.
Greg Procter wrote:

And a lot of famous people who are insignificant.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

You've been talking to Paris Hilton again! ;-)

Couldn't have. If he did he would have said a lot of people are hot!

Agreed.
No flame war intended, but wouldn't you agree that "significant" people in the world might merit a higher status than your dismissal of those who may be famous in only one particular (albeit large) country as being "Absolutely no-one!"?
Sorry, but I found that to be a bit offensive.
Dale
I doubt anybody's heard of Ernest Rutherford either... :)
Dale Carlson wrote:

I've tried to work through your comparitive question and I certainly agree with what I think you intended to say :-)

Sure - I, like many other non-US people, find the expectation that we should find/acknowledge totally unknown (to us) individuals as being famous a bit offensive.

Err well, I lived just down the road from where he grew up until a year ago (me, not him if you see what I mean) so I guess I'm biased on that one. Also Richard Pearse, the first person to fly a powered aircraft and Hamilton, the inventor of the jet-boat.
Regards, Greg.P.
"The State of Genesis: Collins and Co. Talk Peter Gabriel, Future Projects and the Alamo" Rolling Stone Magazine - May 21, 2008 <http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/20899282/the_state_of_genesis_collins_and_co_talk_peter_gabriel_future_projects_and_the_alamo
"Phil, is there a possibility of a new solo disc?
"Phil Collins: Not in the foreseeable future, no. I just got sidetracked with model railroads for the boys - or me, really. I'm building a model railroad in my basement. That seems to be an obsession. There really isn't any room for music at the moment. I'm sure when the railroad gets close to being finished and I go into my little studio, if something happens I'll keep going with it. I have one or two things finished and one or two things that are half baked, but nothing that's even close to being called an album yet."
# # #
____ Mark
P. Roehling wrote:

With Walter's passing recently, there have been plenty of obituaries which mentioned his love of sailing, sports car racing, pipe smoking... and his wife and family.
But I've not seen anything about him being a model railroader or having a love of trains. Was Walter Cronkite a model railroader?

Yes. Among many others.
Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Roseanne Barr (actor) Tom Brokaw (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Groucho Marx (actor, humorist, game show host, all-around cynic) Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (N scale modeller and part owner of Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Colorado) Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" & "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actress) Hermann Gering (rumoured to have had the largest Mrklin model railway collection) Michael Gross (the father on Family Ties) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) David Hasselhoff (actor "Bay watch") Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo - kids' show host) Ward Kimball (one of Disney's original nine animators and a Disneyland designer) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sam Posey (American race car driver) Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers (actor) David Rose (Musician) Rick Schroeder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Frank Sinatra (Lionel and tinplate collector) Tom Snyder (newscaster) Stephen Spielberg (director) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor Star Trek: The Next Generation) Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torm (singer) Pete Waterman (British record producer has largest private collection outside North America) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of Church of Sweden) Neil Young (part owner of Lionel Trains)
Fictional Model Railroaders: Gomez Addams (The Addams Family) had a Lionel layout. He was noted for setting trains on a collision course, then blowing them up with explosives. Reverend Timothy Lovejoy (The Simpsons) has been portrayed in several episodes running model trains in his basement. Donald Duck in the cartoon short "Not To Scale" has a garden railroad. John Patterson (For Better or For Worse) has a garden railroad. Mr X & his arch-enemy Glowface {The X's} are model trains fanatics. Mary Ellen Rogers (Wally's Girlfriend on Leave it to Beaver), her Dad has an American Flyer layout in their basement in one episode. King Willem (Double Star). His love of model trains is a major plot point in the story. Bobby Baccalieri (The Sopranos) has a layout in his garage.
Hi All I've had the pleasure of being up to Rod Stewart's railroad a few dozen times. Some really nice modeling of 1930's era city's. Mike
Twibil wrote:

Titus Quinn in "A World Too Near: Book Two of The Entire and The Rose" by Kay Kenyon on the Pyr book label. Chapter Two opens with a description of Titus, his niece and nephew playing with what is described as the most comprehensive collection of Ives standard gauge trains outside of a museum, with a value in excess of half a million dollars. The author either has some personal knowledge of these collectors' items or did her research, as she describes the operation of an NYC S-Class locomotive.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:34:51 -0700 (PDT)

"Gary Coleman wanted to leave toy trains to ex-wife" PEOPLE.com June 11, 2010 http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20393341,00.html
"... Aside from bank accounts, property, cars and other earnings, the alleged new will also leaves [Shannon] Price his model trains, toys, and games. Coleman, 42, was a lifelong model train enthusiast and often spent hours tinkering with his collection in his basement, friends say. ..."