OT; growing foot size

Back when I was 40 my foot size was stable at 10EEE. Then I moved to a TN farm and my shoes started getting tight. I kept buying larger sizes and wider sizes and now at 65 I am wearing size 12 5E and they have become too tight to wear with socks so I guess I'll have to get some

13-5E unless I can find some 12.5-5E or maybe 6E. Unfortunately half sizes don't seem to be availiable above size 12. Also if my feet keep growing the shoe sizes run out at size 16 but I might die before them.

I've never heard of an adult foot that keeps growing, is this a rarity and what could be causing it? Also where is a good place to buy big WIDE shoes? I used to buy from Mason but I have outgrown their entire line and there is no shoe store in Knoxville that handles widths above

4E.
Reply to
Nick Hull

It is obvious what is going on. You started with the standard imperial foot as used in America now with the world going metric your foot is naturally wanting to go metric too. Instead of being your old fashioned and worn out foot it is changing into the modern metre. Locate your local metric shoe store and you will find a shoe to fit your modern metre.

Mastic

Reply to
mastic

How I wish that were so. Some time back I bought 2 size 11 tennis shoes cheap (bright orange-unpopular color) to use when I'm wading in the mud. They were so big my kids thought they were clown's shoes. Now the same shoe is a snug fit (without socks) and the other unworn pair is exactly the same. My foot IS growing.

OTOH, I have noticed that size 11 shoes made in mexico are noticably smaller than US made.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Reply to
RoyJ

Maybe Red Wing. They used to be able to get large shoes. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Nick Hull wrote in news:nhull-2DD689.07283017072004 @corp.supernews.com:

You might ask your doctor to test you for Acromegaly, you might have problems with your pituitary gland. It is just a glucose tolerance test, no big deal.

Reply to
Dr Dave W

Not uncommon in older people. Your arches start to fall after middle age and the foot gets longer. The higher the arch to begin with, the more growth in length. Steve Monroe

Reply to
Steve Monroe

Red Wing has become a joke. They used to be a fine company making really good products. The price was high until you factored in product longevity and comfort, then it was a true bargain.

Then a new generation with new thinking assumed control and now they have cut back on narrow and wide widths and discontinued many of their old standbys in favor of shoes made with paper thin leather and glue together construction.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Hitchcock wide shoes for men:

John Kunkel

Same thing happened to my wife. Had a size 5 when we were married, not they are an size 8. Ofcourse, she weigh twice as much now and way back then too, and is two inches shorter

Reply to
GMasterman

Geeze..any country boy knows whats happening. He is not wearing shoes enough, particulary when out in the pasture..all that manure stuck between his toes is simply fertilizing his feet. All us tall old Finns know this,

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I don't know how many E I have but I wear size 12-13 sneakers from Wal-Mart... fits fine. The Dr. Scholl's inserts feel good, too.

But then, my oldest brother recently had to buy size 15 shoes...

Tim

Tim Williams

Shoes? You don't need no stinkin' shoes! What kinda country hick are you?

Reply to
bonos

its not that your foot is growing, its is that your foot is getting flatter and speading out thats why you need a bigger and wider shoe.... happened to me.. as a 21 yr. old i had a size 8... and when in my 40's i went up to a 10.. now at 58 i am a 10 1/2 D(medium)... the foot is spreading out thats all.. a sign of old age....

Reply to
dbird

My Dad wore size ten, eleven fit so well he wore twelves Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Reply to
E. Walter Le Roy

That's too bad. I thought that they might be up to something though. They bought Vasque. I used to buy those fine Italian made Vasque boots but don't anymore because they are now made in CHINA!! And no drop in the price either. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Actually my weight has been pretty well unchanged for 25 years.

Reply to
Nick Hull

First I discover that you were a yooper, now I discover that you're also a Finn. You are full of surprises, Gunner.

We do a camping trip in the UP every autumn or two. Some things in some places have changed very little in 45 years. Younger people in Ishpeming and Manistique now speak like they were from Nebraska, but they kin tawk yooper if they want to eh.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mexico uses binary numbers, those are really size 3's.

Reply to
Mark