Famous Railroaders List - Still Growing

Paul Newhouse wrote:

Yes. Here's a list of people not very well known outside their home countries who are indeed modellers.
Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of The Railway Series books i.e. Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV presenter/producer/writer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Bob Symes (British TV presenter/producer) Gerhard Ttschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Danil Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden)
Cheers David

Above are the Australian or British TV personalities. As an American I believe I've heard of 4 of them before.

Why did you mention this bunch who are NOT from Australia or Britain? Kurt rings a bell. His name has probably been mention in some news article I've read?
Mark will, of course, want proof of your claims! *8^)
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
Paul Newhouse wrote:

Not so. My comments were more about the supposed fame of some people on the list.
The only individual on David's list I can comment about is Jimmy Barnes. He used to front a very big Australian band, and has mentioned his hobby in interviews. I met Barnesy and his family on a charter train I was working, and had a great time talking shop with him. I invited him up the front for a bash on the footplate, and he spent about an hour on the engine, grinning like a big kid!

Does it really freakin matter? He claims these people are "one of us" so on the list they go...

Famous Model Railroaders: (alphabetized by last name)
Peter Alexander (Austrian singer/actor) Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Rev Wilbert Awdry (British clergyman, author of Thomas the Tank Engine) Jimmy Barnes (Scottish-Australian singer) Roseanne Barr (actor) Kurt Biedenkopf (German politician) Claude Bolling (French jazz pianist) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Gring (head of German Luftwaffe) Leopold Gratz (Austrian politician) Michael Gross (actor) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Buster Keaton (comedian) Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo kids' show host) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others) Groucho Marx (actor, game show host) Ian McFadyen (Australian TV producer/writer) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) Sam Posey (race car driver) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Philip Sherry (New Zealand TV's equivalent of Walter Kronkite) Frank Sinatra (singer) Peter Snow (British TV presenter) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Jeff Stewart (British TV actor) Byb Symes (British television presenter/producer) Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Gerhard Ttschinger (Austrian actor/writer) Danil Wayenberg (Dutch pianist/composer) Anders Wejryd (Archbishop of the Church of Sweden) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, the creator of TMCC and TMCC II Legacy
--
Carl Heinz
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

An interesting observation, although in the context of famous model railroaders, perhaps famous should be read as famous within their own country? True world wide fame is fairly restrictive in terms of anything.
Having said that, I know who most of the people on the list are, the only exceptions being :
Tom Brokow (newscaster) Richard Crenna (actor) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Captain Kangaroo (kids' show host) Al Lowe (programmer - Leisure Suit Larry and others) John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue")
I should probably know who James Doohan and Rick Schroder are, as both those TV programmes were popular here - I must have been too busy playing trains :-)
I'm not convinced that the list should include fictional characters.
--
Graeme, Scotland

Or real people who were fictional model railroaders...
Mark Mathu wrote:

Although it is worth mentioning that some real modellers have used their own trains when playing fictional modellers, i.e. Michael Gross and Mandy Patinkin. For the Brits, Jeff Stewart (Reg Hollis in The Bill) also did this.
Cheers David

Absolutely. They are certainly worthy of mention, but I'm less convinced by cartoon characters, or, say, Uncle Fester, unless the actor himself is a toy train/model railway fan.
--
Graeme, Scotland

Graeme wrote:

Yes, it should. Though why anyone should care whether "famous" people are railway modellers is beyond me.

Most of them seem fictional to me.
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:44:10 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

That's probably why you'll remain a less than notable yourself in the hobby. The fact is that famous faces, whether you know them or not, can and do influence product use and sales of those products.
I've never once been asked if I knew Mark Newton was a model railroader but I have been asked about Walter Cronkite.
See how that works? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

So? I model to satisfy myself, no-one else. If I was seeking fame, I'd choose a more reliable means to achieve that than modelling.

Ooh, "Introduction to Marketing" by Haddad...Which so-called famous face on the list has been endorsing model railroad products?

No, I don't. What product did Walter Cronkite influence you to buy and use?
Are we that insecure about our hobby that we get excited at the suggestion that an entertainer or sports player is a modeller?
Are we that insecure about our hobby that we get excited at the suggestion that an entertainer or sports player is a modeller?
Over on the Model Railroader forums there's been any number of people pissing their pants with excitement about the magazine article featuring Rod Stewart's layout. I have no strong views one way or the other about him or his layout, but the number of posts verging on hagiography is laughable. I thought that sort of boneheaded shit was confined to teenage girls reading about slatterns like Spears/Lohan/Hilton in some supermarket tabloid rag.
Knowing that someone like Rod Stewart has a layout has no discernable effect on me or my enjoyment of the hobby. I'd be fascinated to know why others think it's such a big deal.
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 01:33:01 +1100, marknewton wrote:

It may be an interesting ans well made layout, but did he build it or have it built? Whatever, he should be tied down and given a hair cut and a pair of non-leather pants, then forced to listen to Wake Up Maggie until his ears bleed. In other words, his music is more show than art and it sucks. He's just the Brit Wayne Newton.
--
Steve

According to the article he has done most of the structures. He left the rework of the electrical system to others, not clear who did the original electrical work.
Paul -- Excuse me, I'll be right back. I have to log onto a server in Romania and verify all of my EBay, PayPal, bank and Social Security information before they suspend my accounts.
Working the rockie road of the G&PX
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 01:33:01 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Ah, then you're simply jealous. That explains a LOT. -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

That's a remarkably stupid comment, even for a fuckwit like you.
(that)"Rod Stewart has a layout has no discernable effect on me or my enjoyment of the hobby"...
That's not jealousy, that's utter indifference.
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:11:45 +1100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Really? If not, why this post? Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Of course. Everyone can read your bleating indifference right here. Any more of your chest thumping and you won't have a friend left.
Perhaps if you enjoyed your hobby in silence? -- Ray
Ray Haddad wrote:

To rebut yours - why else?

Gee, a whole one post. That's protesting too much?

He models in a different scale to me, and models a country, a prototype and an era that I'm not interested in. His style of layout is not one that appeals to me. What should I be jealous about?

Now you're going to play Netkop?
I've always wondered why you post on a model railroading group - you don't appear to post anything on topic.