Mojave SPACEPORT Report!!!

Just got back from Mojave (about 150 mi away, roughly) and the first suborbital flight of Spaceshipone. Somebody needs to do a 1/32 scale resin of that baby- it's fairly small. Got to see my first Alpha Jet, too. They are using an ex-Luftwaffe one as a camera ship for Discovery channel. The carrier plane, White Knight, looks like a P-38 on hallucinogens. Totally cool. Also along were an Extra 300 and a Beech Starship as chase planes.

The mated WK/SS1 took off and did circles around the area to get altitude for about 50 minutes before drop. We were able to see them for quite a while thanks to contrails. Just before drop the pair came at us from out of the ease, just below the rising sun. We could see the smoke trail from the rocket engine heading apparently straight up next to the sun and then at burnout, the tiny spacecraft was lost to view. The local radio station was broadcasting the radio from the tower, so we could hear when Mike Melville was making position and altitude callouts. As the ship descended, we could see the chase ships converging on his position. The formation circled the field as they descended for landing. On the last turn round, the ship lined up on the runway and touched down just north of our viewing area.

People were going nuts yelling and cheering when the rocket ignited and you could see the trail shooting straight up out of the sun. When the sonic boom filtered down to us there was a wave of cheering from the approximately

50,000 on hand. Now I know how it felt to watch Yeager or Shepard or Glenn. On the way home, I also realized that that was the first time in my life I had seen a formation of all four ways (yes, I know I'm forgetting electric, but don't spoil the poetry of the moment) to power an aircraft- rocket, jet, turboprop, and piston. Totally unforgettable.
Reply to
Jim Atkins

What a great opportunity! I've seen zero posts on this subject and we both post within the same hour!

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

And don't forget gravity during the glide back : )

Well, Tamiya San, we're anxiously waiting...

Reply to
Jeff C

But how much did you spend at Smith's?...

Reply to
Rufus

Got there too early! They were still closed, unfortunately. Totally cool looking store- semi-dilapidated. Have to check it out the next time I'm in Lancaster at a decent hour.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Shucks...they do carry the full line of Model Master paints like you were looking for...just to whet your appetites...

Until the next launch, then.

Reply to
Rufus

The pilot was on Jay Leno last night. That will be re-aired next Wednesday about 2AM on most NBC affiliates. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I was there too, and I took pictures. They're up on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson