low voltage standards - so many to choose from!

We plan on getting out mission control wired for 12volt and was wondering if there were some standard connectors to use. I do NOT want
someone to foolish to read trying to plug a 12v device into a 110v outlet (you could label them in eye-yanking color that flashes, and they still would not read it)
Studying for level 2 and also for general class (so I'd have to join another club)
Tater Schuld wrote:

One plan might be to use the automotive style "cigarette lighter/auxiliary power" connectors.
-dave w
You could use a 12v rv outlet like these: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=3&subOfa,55&prodID057 Bill Bahus

Tater Schuld wrote:

Tater,
The good thing about 110 cords is they're cheap, plentiful and have the current carrying capabilies needed for rocketry. I agree that it always chills me a little that the plug looks like it ought be plugged into a 110 outlet, but fortunately, there aren't many of those In the Wells' brothers corn fields :)
I don't like the cigarette lighter connector. Although I recognize its emergence as an industry standard, its current capacity really isn't suitable for what we do.
If you must use something other than 110 stuff, consider the connectors commonly used on golf carts and forklifts. These have very high current capacity, and are keyed so no one will get their wires crossed (not that Solar ignitors are polarized :)
I couldn't find them during a brief web search, but if you've ever looked at a golf cart or forklift (electric, that is) charging setup, you'll know what I'm talking about.
HTH.
Doug

There are also power connectors made for high current, low voltage applications. These are polorized so they cannot be connected wrong if wired right the first time. Electric powered radio control (R/C) airplanes use them and so do ham radio operators who put their radios in cars. The R/C connectors can be found at better hobby shops that carry electric planes or look in "R/C Modeler Magazine" or "Quiet Flight". For the ham radio connectors look in "CQ" or "QST" magazines. Some of the R/C connectors will carry over 30 amps at low voltage.
Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Amateur Radio emergency communications folks have pretty well decided to standardize on the Anderson Powerpole system:
http://www.dcpwr.com/about/standardization.php http://www.epower2go.biz/en-us/dept_119.html http://www.powerwerx.com / http://www.orares.org/orares/powerpole.html
and even in Australia: http://www.nsw.wicen.org.au/connectors.html
We are all getting our gear outfitted with this type of connectors (polarized, color-coded) so that no matter where/when we are needed we should be able to plug the radio gear in without any major power/connector compatibility issues. These things are pretty robust, and should handle the typical launch setup well. There are a lot of different bus and distribution systems and components available for this system.
--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ SeaNAR - The Seattle NAR Section #568