Measuring B.P.

i am going to be building my first dual deployment rocket soon, and ordered all of the parts I need, except for the 1g measuring spoon. What do use to measure when you don't have the little spoon? I would just order one, but don't want to pay the shipping on such a small item.

Thanks in Advance, Charles

Reply to
Csinclair00

By volume, 1 gram of FFFFg (aka 4F) black powder is just a tiny bit less than a level quarter teaspoon, and is also approximately 1 cc (aka 1 ml).

So, if you are using microcentrifuge tubes as ejection charge holders (like the ones Pratt hobbies sells), you have convenient "gram" markings already on the tube, in the form of the "cc" or "ml" markings. Or, if you are using something else (corner of a plastic baggie, folded paper, etc.) to hold your charges, you can measure them with the quarter-teaspoon measuring spoon you picked up as part of a set of measuring spoons at your local 99 cents store....

Or, you can get silly, and buy a horribly expensive, yet ridiculously accurate, scale to measure exact masses of powder.

Me, I go with the microcentrifuge tubes & quarter-teaspoon spoons.

- Rick "Cheap but effective" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

I use one of two methods:

- a microcentrifuge tube sourced from Traxa,

a cone of masking tape and tipping enough in to it til I think "yeah, that's about enough"

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

I use an old syringe body that's graduated in cc's to measure powder. CC's are closely equivalent to grams when measuring 4F powder.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I just waited until Wal~Mart put their Black powder accessories on clearance and picked up a powder measure and powder flask from them. I use 1/2" cpvc end caps as charge holders so I really know how full they need to be. Then add wadding to fill it the rest of the way and masking tape it closed.

Reply to
Bill Richardson