Moon, Mars, and NASA

I guess getting ButtF**cked (Jerry's own words, not mine) by your past business partners gives one the right to link any rmr topic to Tripoli?

What does Tripoli have to do with the Moon, MARS (the planet - not the umpteen rocket club incarnations) , or NASA? Nothing. Get a life Jerry.

Followed by the cheap seat cheering section... KaBoom! Get a life Bob.

Reply to
Rocketweb

The ethic is the same. TRA cert policies as different from NFPA code itself.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I wasn't there, but I've read a few histories written by folks on both sides, NASA and contractor. NASA was heavily involved in the design and manufacturing of all of the Apollo hardware. NASA entirely build several of the Saturn 1's. Frequently though, there was NASA designers working shoulder to shoulder with contractor designers.

Max Faget for example. He was doing design studies at the same time as the contractors. Once a design was chosen, all the designers on both sides would come up with a final design.

Manufacturing was also integrated as well.

That's not to say that the contractors simply did what NASA told them. Apollo's success was built apon the mutual cooperation of the government and industrial complex. If they didn't work well together, it wouldn't have happened.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Switenky

It was hardly "nearly completed" when cancelled...

Agreed. Much of what is wrong at NASA is directly related to lack of funding.

So true.

Bob Kaplow

Or a Bert Rutan. Or even a John Langford.

Bob Kaplow

IIRC, our FIRST IRBM, Thor, was designed and developed on only 10 months. Now an IRBM is not as complex as a man rated rocket, but they were starting without a solid base of BM experience. These days, even with experienced people and infrastrusture, it takes many years to get anything done.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Early vehicle reliability was pathetic--Rebuilding gantry after a cato really chaps the landowners butt big time...

The odds of not having to explain things to the customers improved with better parts. Getting silicon based components that you could bet your paycheck on often means starting from scratch at the bare wafer level, otherwise you got the junk that the other space vehicle vendors rejected. It took us about 52 weeks to wait our turn at the foundries and grow good parts from scratch--Something about them able to make more money making parts for commercial customers. Developing and qualifying new sources would take about 24 months. Alot of lead time problems are linked directly to lack of production volume. Circuit boards were not as bad. Power transfer switches (motor driven 1500 amp carrying beasts) and gyros were always a pain. Nonmetallic goops and gunks were always driving your schedules crazy...

These days though, your odds of success with Serial Number 1 are much better though it may take longer to hatch.

FWIW, Andy

Reply to
Andy