F-104 Plastic Model Conversion Photos

Hello all. I'm posting this as an update to my query a couple months
ago about advice for successfully converting a plastic model kit of a
Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-104 Starfighter jet into a flying model
rocket.
Well, the project is now complete, looks great, and has already logged
two successful C-motor flights. Thanks to everyone who offered advice
and helpful links. Below is a link with a dozen photos of
construction through the finished rocket/jet. Make sure to cut &
paste the entire link. The link works best with the Explorer browser:

A few project stats:
* Single 24mm motor mount.
*
No additional fins used for stabilization.
* Lead shot fills the nosecone.
*
Full cockpit was installed.
* C6-5 is best because C6-3 was too short a delay.
*
Plastic Estes 18" chute to keep down the weight.
* One-inch long launch lug mounted on the belly.
*
Carved balsa plug behind the nose section.
This was my first PMC, but it won't be my last.
David Marshall
NAR Level 2
Reply to
David M.
That looks fantastic!
Any pictures on the launch pad or even of flights?
Leo

Leo Nutz
snip
Really nice! My favorite jet of the 60's.
Randy
Reply to
Randy
Wow...excellent work! What is the finished weight? (w/o motor)
Stones
stones
That's way too pretty for you to fly. Box it up and send it to me! ;)
tim
Reply to
Tim
Nice Job!
David Chen
Reply to
Davidhuifang
"David M." wrote in message | Hello all. I'm posting this as an update to my query a couple months | ago about advice for successfully converting a plastic model kit of a | Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-104 Starfighter jet into a flying model | rocket. | | Well, the project is now complete, looks great, and has already logged | two successful C-motor flights. Thanks to everyone who offered advice | and helpful links. Below is a link with a dozen photos of | construction through the finished rocket/jet. Make sure to cut & | paste the entire link. The link works best with the Explorer browser:
| David Marshall | NAR Level 2
Gorgeous! When are the flight pictures coming?
TK -- Cogito ergo Bibo
Reply to
TDKozan
Here's an update. I flew the F-104 this morning (1-24-03) for the third time. It was the first flight after I applied all the paint and decals and it was perfect! The C6-5 takes it up to about 600-700 feet at a 45 degree angle. I don't have a scale, so I don't know the weight. The center of gravity, with motor, is about 1/4 inch forward of the front wing root.
I've created a second album that includes a few photos of this morning's launch, however the "flight" shot is just the smoke trail -- that sucker is surprisingly fast. The new link below will take you to the updated pictures and added captions.
David Marshall NAR Level 2
Reply to
David M.
-Tip: Try
next time you've got a loooong URL you wish to post. The above URL and this one:
both point to the same page.
The paintjob looks excellent, btw. :-)
Reply to
Odd Erling N. Eriksen