Nomex Parachutes

Why isn't there a manufacturer of nomex parachutes....with a kevlar shock cord and shroud lines....it would seem as though no wadding would be needed...i understand nomex is relatively expensive....but for rockets in the 2 - 3 inch range...it would seem alright...

thanks

vishal

Reply to
Vishal

Funny you should mention it. I had the same idea almost ten years ago; Nomex parachutes were one of the first Pratt Hobbies products. With Kevlar shroud lines, too. We made them in four sizes. Didn't sell for squat. Then one day someone asked me if I would make them a parachute with only one shroud line, and HeatShields were born. They have outsold the Nomex parachutes dramatically, at least ten to one.

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

I have one. Still in the bag. Maybe I should fly it this season.

See ya at LDRS Doug

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I still have a couple of the 60 inchers in rockets. They work, but they get dirty. That's another advantage of Heatshields: easier to replace. My wife calls them "rocket toilet paper."

Looking forward to some hang time with you at LDRS! Watching the NYPOWER DVD brings back some great memories. I'm glad you stuck with your second Level III flight when I would have given up. Getting that thing off the pad felt so good...

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Doug...

What are the chances that you'll ever carry CarbonX fabric?

Great stuff, but expensive and it's been hard for me to locate a distributor.

Expensive... but I'd love to experiment with the stuff... *if* I could locate a distributor.

I'd love half a dozen square yards for deployment bags and heat shields... the 3.9 Oz Single Jersey Knit fabric *might* even make a decent parachute... and it's washable!!! ;)

Reply to
Mark

Doug, I am planning two flights of my L3 bird at LDRS. I want to get some data from the computer payload this time. I was going to fly it both time on Hybrid M's but might end up flying it on a composit M's. Should be cool either way. Robert

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Hey, do one of each. Just like lunch at the Chinese restaurant: one from Column A, one from Column B.

Reply to
Doug Pratt