old russian propellant

I came across this old russian solid rocket propellant formulation and I thought I might ask those of you that know a whole lot more about propellants than me...

KNO3 70% Pitch CM-211 10% Mg 20%..

what would be the propulsion parameters ?

"Pitch" is a bitumen viscous resin

tia

terry dean nar 16158

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Why don't you show the formula to the guys at rec.pyrotechnics. They discuss rocket propellant a lot.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

High cost(the Mg), high slag, fairly low Isp, almost certainly hot cast with 90% solids(IOW stuffed, not poured)--there are better and easier propellants. It will burn hot with the binder tending to erode. Specifics of the binder will be critical to safety during mixing and casting. Both of which will be a bitch.

This is one of many 'orphaned' propellants after rubber binders were introduced.

Pay up your life insurance before messing with it. It's the casting that would give me the heebie-jeebies. And I'm a semi-crazy old pyro who once helped cast asphalt/KNO3 stirred with a broomstick.

But I'd bet it would make a nice skyrocket fuel for plumb crazy pyros looking for something different.

Oh, and don't overlook the glass transition temperature of the binder! And slumping in hot weather.

+McG+
Reply to
kmcgrmr