One pissed man.....

Just saw a commercial for SBC digital. Had Damon Weans and a kid launching a rocket. The rocket went up and then came down and hit the car, blowing it up. Anyone else see this? Looked like an AT Initiator.

Reply to
Stephen Corban

I have gone on the record that we need a PR campaign.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dang!!!

I missed that one... Wife saw it, she thought it was BigDaddy... I didnt see it... yet!!

Thnx for the clarification.

R.

Reply to
Rex

SBC Public Affairs Selim Bingol Phone: (210) 351-3991 E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@corp.sbc.com

Mark

Reply to
Mark Saunders

I just saw it today. It's an AT Initiator for sure. The motor burn is more like a BP engine than a composite but I could be wrong. The FX guys tweak all sorts of things like that. it sure doesn't make the hobby look too safe that's for sure.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I emailed snipped-for-privacy@corp.sbc.com this morning with a sane & controlled message about theirs being among recent TV coverage showing model rocketry in an unrealistic & unfavorable light and made him aware of our recent government agency regulatory struggles. Surprisingly, just over two hours later, I received a pleasant email back from Glenn Higgins, Director of Media Services for SBC Communications....not a form & even citing certain statements I made. He said they didn't mean to disparage us & that the whole thing was meant as tongue & cheek. I'd encourage others to email (I haven't even seen the commercial, but I felt strongly enough to write anyway) & like I did, sign off with or mention the various rocketry clubs or organizations you're affiliated. -- Richard "lower back is almost back to normal" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

I saw it, too. I thought that maybe the ATF was getting into script-writing for commercials... since they're not very good at doing their mandated job. ;-)

The rocket itself looked more like a LOC Magnum to me - it was WAY too big to be an Initiator...

Reply to
Len Lekx

Maybe you should suggest to them that they are obligated to contribute to the various funds and PR endeavors on behalf of the rocket community in lieu of damages. This sure isn't helping me any. I'm trying to secure a suitable field to get a local program going and this is what I have to compete with. And I'm handicapped by NOT having an insurer yet.

Layne

message

Reply to
L & K

Why not get the automobile manufacturer involved? They don't want to have a reputation for having cars that blow up when hit by a toy rocket.

I seem to recall an incident where one of these "20/20" or "Dateline" shows portrayed some pick-up as having a gas tank that tended to explode in accidents. The automobile manufacturers wasn't too happy about it, got involved, and I believe that it was discovered that the show had even rigged the fuel tank to explode.

Reply to
SkyPirate

The auto manufacturer was the direct victim of fraud in that case.

Since Ray Dunakin and Steve Bloom believe everything I say is a lie, this must be a lie too.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Or, they could just do a voice over and run it as a PSA promoting safe sport rocketry by illustrating (dramatizing) the consequences of not following the safety code.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Yikes! Guess that makes me part of the deception too.

Reply to
SkyPirate

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

Well, apart from that, Bob, did you like the commercial?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

And wasn't it a consumer rocket motor that was used to ignite the gas tank, IIRC?

Mark Simpson

Yes.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine