Heidenhain DRO scale faulty

I wonder if anyone has a solution to a DRO not working on the X axis of a Bridgeport. Its not the readout, swapped X and Y plugs and the X axis
readout then functions, albeit its reading the Y axis.
I took the scale off the machine, dismantled it, cleaned the glass scale on one side with ISOPROP and a clean cloth, and then the reading head, but still nothing. All wires look ok on the circuit board. I wonder if the glass scale needs cleaning on both sides, more difficult to get into the lower channel, if the reading head needs to "go through" the glass ? Bob
Emimec wrote:

I had this a few months back. Everything looked alright. I even took the scale apart and the lamp was working but the effect was that the least significant digit just went 0101010101 but nowt else. I ended up having to send the scale back to a heidenhain agent.
If you want his contact details then email me direct bobdotminchinatntlworddotcom.
Bob

Many thanks I will email you direct for the contact details. A point you raised, "the lamp was working" is interesting, as I cant see any form of lamp being on in the sliding head, I can see what must be the lens, so this must be my problem Regards Bob

Emimec wrote:

Hi You don't say which type of scales you have . I have a pair of Heidenhain LS500 scales which I believe came off a Bridgeport. Only one of them has the reading head and cable and the splash seals on both are U/S. I have never seen these working but if you want any part of them you are welcome.
Colin in Norfolk