OT(cars): for Mark Simpson and other NOX car users

I am pretty ignorant about cars, but I had a thought running through my head.

Has anybody tried misting NOX at some point in a air intake instead of using modified fuel injectors? Is there something on the market already, or would it even work?

I mention it, because in addition to giving some boost in HP because of the extra oxygen, it should cool the air intake quite a lot also.

I don't have a sports car or would be able to even try it, but the thought came to me when I was thinking about it actually being done on gas turbine engines.

Whatcha think?

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

You also need a corosponding increase in Fuel. In the late 70s (last time I played with race cars) you not only had to inject NOS into the manafold but Gas as well, or the engine went super lean and blew up.

I also think more then mist is needed to produce a HP increase, but I"m really old when it comes to cars nowadays.

Reply to
ArtU

There are two types of NOx systems being used, wet and dry. In a dry system, just NOx is fed into the intake like you mentioned. The computer-controlled fuel injectors see an increase in the A?F ratio and compensate by adding more fuel automatically. In a wet system, NOx and fuel are added together. Wet systems are preferred because you can get higher boosts and there is less risk of burning your pistons due to a leaning out condition. Dry systems are less complicated and cheaper to set up, so they are prety good sellers. I have a wet system set up on mine. It feeds NOx and Fuel through dual nozzles under the intake manifold. All lines are under the manifold, out of sight....very stealthy. Also very impractical. In order to change nozzles to increase or decrease the power addition, you have to pull off the intake manifold. Since mine hasn't ever been used (previous owner set up the lines, bottle, high volume fuel pump and nozzles but not the solenoids, wiring, switches, delay, etc.), I'm probably going to remove the modified intake and go back to a naturally aspired set up. I'll set up the solenoids so that I can still purge the lines on demand. There's nothing cooler than seeing dual blasts of NOx shooting out from near both windshield wipers like a bull snorting. >;-) If I decide to try NOx in the future, I'll go with an external wet system with nozzles and jets up top for ease of changing.

Mark Simpson

Thanks Mark. I am totally ignorant about what is on the market. My brother didn't know there was a dry and wet NOX systems so I figured I would ask.

He is an aspiring ricer with an old Acura Integra he is slowly hopping up. Silly boy... One of these days I will have my WRX and all will be well. :-)

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

get an RX-8 instead.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Excuse my pet peeve, ricer boys....

Its N2O or nitrous (not nitro, either), not NOX or worse yet, "noss".

Nitrous oxide = N2O. Two nitrogens, one oxygen.

Oxides of Nitrogen = NOX. One of the constituents of exhaust that the emission controls are attempting to reduce. Very different than N2O.

Noss = ricerboy talk.

If you want to learn about nitrous systems, how about going to Nitrous Oxide Systems, or Nitrousworks, or Edelbrock websites. Their are many others.

Mike in Arkansas, nitrous user 15 years ago.

Reply to
Mike M

Or give these guys a ring;

500 hp twin turbo vee dubyah R32 :)

Ted 'keep it german' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Um Mark, do you have those timeslips yet?

We needs the digits :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Sorry Mike, but, as a chemist for 25 years, NOx is a perfectly acceptable shorthand notation for combinations of N and O. Agreed, it has been used primarily when talking about the combustion products NO and NO2. Now, as a BADR (born again drag racer), many people call it "noss" because of the Holley's brand name NOS. Now, it you want the ricer version, you have to add a southern drawl to it and say "nawz". (find a video entitled "ricer BS Week 1" and you'll see why. ;-)

Mark Simpson

Mike,

NOS = Brand Name of Nitrous Systems Common use now like Clean-Ex

But with your experiance, you know that already.

Reply to
AlMax714

You are probably confusing "NOX" with "LOX" (liquid oxygen) used in the really big stuff.

I really can't believe regular users of hybrid rockets would call nitrous "NOX". Its just plain wrong.

OK, I'll get over it. I'll just go launch some Estes APCP rockets, no wait, Aerotech black powder motors....

Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
Mike M

The STI rocks! I paid 35K for mine, but I got it in May. Back then a deal was a pipe dream. Now they are significantly cheaper due to kids who reserved them not being able to pony up, they're easy to find, and some dealers will give a serious discount. 3260 Lbs, 300 HP and 300 lb-ft with a

6 speed and two limited slip diffs, 0 - 57 in a shade over 4 seconds, but ya gotta shift to 3rd to get to 60, so it comes at about 4.5 seconds. I only took mine to the drags once, first time ever for me on any track. I blundered my way to a 13.4. Somebody who knows what he's doing could do 12.75 stock... and the car's not meant to be a drag racer.

..and the real bonus is that it's a badass in the rain. The car kicks serious 2WD ass in the wet. It's not just a "real car", it's an all weather interceptor. :-) :-)

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ? Remove clothing before replying.

Reply to
Cyberia

That shoulda been THREE, not two... DOH!

--

--------------- SeeYa !

-------------- Hello....... Is this thing on ? Remove clothing before replying.

Reply to
Cyberia

I just ordered my 2004 WRX-STI

Three thousand pounds

Three hundred horsepower

All wheel drive

Bring on the Mazdas! (and the BMWs, Porches, etc.)

Al :-)

Reply to
Al Gloer

OK, you asked for it, here's the best one:

60' 1.643 seconds 594' 6.971 seconds 1/8 ET 7.434 seconds 1/8MPH 97.29 MPH 1/4 ET 11.527 Seconds 1/4 MPH 115.69 MPH

Sean, my son, ran the above 1/4. Both of us didn't launch off of the transbrake because we were afraid of breaking the 10-bolt rear, so the

60' times are higher than they should be. We also hit the rev limiter before crossing the finish line, so we lost a bit there. With a 3.42 or 3.73 bulletproof rear, we figure it'll go high 10's to low 11's without nitrous and 9's with. With a nice set of slicks, launching from the transbrake, I figure we can get the front wheels up a foot or so on the launch without having to use the bottle. That'll be fun!

Mark Simpson

As Mark already pointed out, and from what I have known for a while, NOX is more like a general term for any sort of oxide of nitrogen. No confusion, I have seen nitrous oxide referred to as NOX when reading about biprops in addition to hybrids. Like I said, as long as I have been into rocketry I have seen the term NOX used.

OK :-)

BTW, I wonder. Would it be more efficient for acceleration to do the conventional injection of NOX into the engine, or use biprop rocket motor of NOX and gasoline with about the same mass flow rates?

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

The other reason why I would take on of these over just about any american car on the market. If I were to ever get a car like a WRX or a EVO, it would be to race on a road course, not a drag strip. Either of the two would be able to out handle most other cars period, whether it be a riced civic or a mustang.

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

Damn impressive Mark! Hell the best I've ever done(and the last I might add) was a mid 13 with my old '68 'stang.

Hopefully my bud will have his Olds ready for next spring. Sucker has a good 480-490 whp. He *promised* me a shot at the quarter in his ride. Starting to wonder if I have balls to actually try it :( I mean he has a cage and all but now he started mumbling the other day about nitrous. Must be something in the air.

Ted 'fingers are crossed' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Nice motor! The last motor I built was a small block. I took a 289 4-bolt main block (bored way out) out of a 1969(?) school bus and put a large journal forged

350 crank in it. After decking the block and the Keith Black heads, throwing in domed pistons and Al rods, I got a 12.5:1 beast that had TONS of torque and could easily rev to 11,000 rpm. (I shifted at 9,800 where the torque dropped off.:-) I also had a big cam and roller everything. The aspiration was done via a low rise duel quad intake with a modified NOS Cheater 2 system. The tranny was a Turbo 475 (yes 475) out of an old GM Step Van, modified with a manual valve body and a 5,000 stall converter. (I put a short pig on it from a T350)

Get this, I put the whole assembly in a 1972 Corvette with a custom 4:56 rear end! Talk about neck snapping! She dyno'd at 720 hp with the nitrous going. I did shear the wheel bolts once, twisted an axel and cracked the windshield from the body twisting.

I had more fun than should be allowed. I used to race on Vandyke/6 mile, behind City Airport, and the 94 service drive in Detroit.

Thanks for the memories mark.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc