OT(cars): for Mark Simpson and other NOX car users

At 13.4 seconds, I'd say it's definitely not a drag racer. ;-)

Mark Simpson

Wanna race for pink slips. I have this 10 year old car that weighs about 3700 pounds that I'd like drag race ya with. >:-)

Mark Simpson

You could always buy a Corvette Z06. It's at home at the dragstrip or on a road course.

Paxt> The other reason why I would take on of these over just about any american

Reply to
Mark Simpson

Careful Ted. Once you make a wild pass in a real car, you'll sell your ricers and SUVs and buy a Detroit muscle car. >;-) If he's putting down 480-490 at the rear wheels, he should be in the high 9's to low 10's is my guess, depending on weight and traction. That's a potent machine. A good set of slicks and the front wheels should be grabbing some sky. Not a ride for the faint-of-heart or those with bad backs.

Mark Simpson

You da man, Doc!!! Nobody builds motors like that any more. They max at ~7k rpms because of the computer ignition modules. But, the EFI produces 30% more HP than a similar carbed motor. The trick set ups now are blowers, turbos and nitrous. I've seen 700HP+ street machines that almost sounded stock, except for the belt whine.

Mark Simpson

I thought the way to hop up a cer today was to reprogram its computer(s)...

Bob Kaplow

7k is a waste if you still have torque. Heck, a balanced old HEI will do more than that. I agree that EFI is better than normally aspirated but it would have cost me a ton 15 years ago. I was able to do it with the Otto cycle and brute force. (Of course a few timing tricks and an MSD did wonders.) We did our own cam timing too.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Oh it is. A bud of mine has a 2000 GTI 1.8T(don't remember the engine code) that when stock at a paltry 150 chp. Added a stage 1 chip from APR and the chp climbed to 200. As we all know todays motors have fuel injection and electronic ignition, and sometimes a turbo, all controlled by the computer. A chip upgrade is usually the first mod done to a modern day engine but seldom is it the last mod :)

My bud eventually went to a stage 3 APR kit and that chp went to 300+. Stage 3 required complete exhaust, intercooler and turbo swap. Imagine what can be done if interior mods are made :)

Ted 'drives a '89 Loser, er, Camry' Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

Oh I know your right :)

It's a '84 Cutless so it's pretty light. He's going to spend the winter getting the rear end in order. 500 whp won't do a lick of good if you can't put that power to the ground!

Damn, my drive home tonight is really going to suck ;/ Well, it sucks anyway when your 14 year old ricer has 200k on the odometer :(

On my lunch break I think I'll surf carsoup for used M3's.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
nedtovak

That's only part of the process, but you can get some decent gains by reprogramming alone.

Mark Simpson

What I neglected to mention is that a lot of the new big HP street monsters are making their horsepower using hydraulic lifters. They're rollers, but they're still hydraulic lifters, hence the 7k limit.

Mark Simpson

Yeah, floating valves or lifters can get pretty ugly at 7k. ;-) I did it once at 10k. It wasn't pretty. Ever see a valve go completely through a piston at 10K? :-(

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Hmmm... roller followers with hydraulic lifters - an interesting combination! (Some motorcycle engines are using overhead cams with "finger" followers with hydraulic adjustment, but the hydraulic takeup is built into the stationary fulcrum pin that the follower pivots on, which is supposed to give a higher RPM capability than having it part of the moving lifter itself...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

It's very common nowadays to use roller hydraulic lifters and roller rocker arms in engines that don't even see 8K rpms.

Mark Simpson